• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cruisie lamp

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PitchyPine

69 Cal.
Reaction score
Made this lamp today, it`s called a Cruisie lamp.

pans2.jpg

pans1.jpg

drawingsmetal.jpg

meplasma2.jpg

cutoutsdone.jpg

partstogether.jpg

cruiserlamplit.jpg

holy smokes pitchy! thats neat! and fast! nice lookin! where'd that idea come from??? great job ya dun extry good there! :bow:

Wow Pitchy, that's nice. :thumbsup:
Seeing you're on the lamp kick, what's next? :hmm:

bucktales said:
Wow Pitchy, that's nice. :thumbsup:
Seeing you're on the lamp kick, what's next? :hmm:
a canoe paddle/walkin stick/knife/hawk.... that lights up! :thumbsup: and looks purdy!

Very well done, Pitchypine. It resembles and orignal such lamp I saw 15 years ago that belonged to my former mother-in-law, and dated from the 18th century. :thumbsup:

Thanks guys, I got the idea on another board from a bro. I don`t know if he`s here or not, if so chime in bud and take the credit. :thumbsup:
Yep it`s a 18th century lamp, there`s a ladder pieace that the upper pan rests on and as the oil gets low you move it out and that tips the lamp down in the front. The bottom pan catches any drips. I have to do some experimenting, last night i made the wick from rolled up cloth about two inches long but the flame would follow the wick the full length and it made a heck of a fire. Having a long wick doesn`t make sense anyway because why have the tipping pan then. I believe one should use a short wick and have the oil come right up to it on the tip of the pan, it would then maybe only burn up to the fluid thus being the reason for the tipping action. Will let ya know on that. :)

Hey Pitchy, what kind of tin snips are ya usin' that throws them sparks :shocked2: . Thats a neat lamp tho, I really like it. What ya using for a wick? Now I gots to make one from copper, if I can find some...Bud

That be my new plasma cutter bro and you`ll have to pry my cold dead hand from it to get it. :haha:
What i`m hearing these lamps are very touchy to burn right and i`ll have to get back with ya after i figure it out. :thumbsup:

This seams to do the trick, the wick is a rolled up pieace of cloth which they probably would of used and i ran it through a nut. That pointed the wick up and stopped the burn from following the wick down into the oil. :thumbsup:

flameimprovement.jpg

And that little ... tube ... for the wick shows part of the progression from open spoon-shaped grease lamp to that enclosed betty lamp with the wick coming up that tube.

The flame tends to spread down the wick until it gets down to near the level of the grease/oil. Once the grease/oil gets into the wick and gets heated up enough to vaporize, that's where it will burn. A candle works the same way. The wax needs to melt and then get hot enough to vaporize before it actually can burn.

Good work, and run projects to ... tinker on.

Mikey - that grumpy ol' German blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

Finished improvement with pick attached. May not be period correct but it sure works good, had it burning for a good 20 minutes. The oil got away from the wick and the tipping mechanism worked perfect.

pickattached.jpg

Rich isn't on here. But I'll get some pics from him. He has about 20 originals. No joke! :shocked2:

Pichou said:
Rich isn't on here. But I'll get some pics from him. He has about 20 originals. No joke! :shocked2:

Thanks gents :)
Ok cool on the pics, thanks. :thumbsup:

Back