• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Knife question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gbro

32 Cal.
Reaction score
My shoot'n Pard has this knife that he used to cut patches with and we are wondering what the piercings could have been used for.
English Trade Knife
without a guard this knife isn't a good choice but there has to be a practical use for the hole?

Modern design, for the most part. The "hole" and file work are decorative
With respect while the "hole" on the cutting edge is a modern addition to trade knives - the Spanish Notch as the "hole" and cutting edge filework is called goes back to at least the late Medieval/Renaissance times.
It has no "by design" practical purpose - it is a decorative relic of the "sword catcher/breaker" notches used on left hand (main gauche)daggers of the period when rapiers were the primary weapon of choice.
Plenty of documented period (both 18th and especially 19th centuries) knives have such Spanish notches on the cutting edge.
On the other hand the file work on the spine does show up on some period trade knives - see the LaNouvelle France sight for some examples of the latter.

LaBonte said:
Modern design, for the most part. The "hole" and file work are decorative
With respect while the "hole" on the cutting edge is a modern addition to trade knives - the Spanish Notch as the "hole" and cutting edge filework is called goes back to at least the late Medieval/Renaissance times.
It has no "by design" practical purpose - it is a decorative relic of the "sword catcher/breaker" notches used on left hand (main gauche)daggers of the period when rapiers were the primary weapon of choice.
Plenty of documented period (both 18th and especially 19th centuries) knives have such Spanish notches on the cutting edge.
On the other hand the file work on the spine does show up on some period trade knives - see the LaNouvelle France sight for some examples of the latter.

I'm glad you agree. :wink:

That knife has very little to do with trade knives 1750-1790.

This is what one really looks like, and a faithful reproduction.

Origanlandrepro.jpg

while being a hold over from the earlier blade catchers, those little notches also serve as a crude finger safety to keep one mindful of the cutting edge. choil work such as that was also seen on some of the more extravagant bowie blades.

As a bladesmith who's made a few of those, my theory is that the makers did that just to show that they could.
Obnoxious thing to make.

Very nice Pichou. I saw a few of these relic blades on Wallace Guslers table at the CLA. A couple had the English marks, and all had holes for three pins just as your copy.

Back