• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Had a try at scrimshawing a horn

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

huntman58

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Well ya all did it to me again. I just had to try my hand at scrimshaw on
a horn so here it is my first but not last try. I got the horn on line. It was already built but got it cheap so had a go at it. It is a light horn about 12” out side curve but not very big around. The strap I was going to use looks to big and not very balanced so may have to go with a thin leather strap or add it to my bag. Next I am going to try and do one from start to finish. May start with a polished horn before I try my hand at a raw one. So far I do not know what I enjoy doing more. The gun building, the leather work, or horns. I know I will not stop and even now I am thinking about trying to make a knife. not a put it together knife but bang it out form it and then ad a handle but that may be some time down the line. Man I really forgot how much I enjoyed black powder and because of all of you I am learning to enjoy new parts of it all the time. Thanks for the encouragement folks
Image003.jpg
Image004.jpg

:hatsoff: Nice job Huntman58. I agree with ya about building your gear. Sometimes I think it's more fun to build the stuff than to actually use it.
Soggy

Marty,

It looks good! :thumbsup: Is the neck stained dark? GW

BTW- In this sport,the only thing more fun than making all yer stuff is wearin it and shootin the guns. :grin:

Wow! really nice!
You did the opposite as me. I started with carving the horn and chickened out when it came to the scrimshaw. :redface:

You really should give it a try. I started with a polished horn and found that horn is really easy to shape and carve compared to wood.

There is a satisfaction that comes from using anything made from your own hand that cannot be duplicated by anything store bought. And there's also the added value knowing that your horn is the only one like it.

Well done!

Thanks all.

Gray whisker no it is not stained at all. In fact it is made from two horns a black one and a cream horn. The joint is so tight you can not feel or see the line at all. It is not screwed together but glued epoxyed style. The cream horn was fitted into the black one and not butted to each other.

Nifeman may be needing to talk with ya :hmm: as I got to get a patch knife and a side knife. Right now have a straight razor and well its okay but would rather have a knife. I guts the antler for the handle all ready it is from my first deer a small forky. the knife has to also have a blade no longer then 4" but a thin tang to fit it as the antler is about 1/2" x 4"

Mr. Gray the only reason the scrim was done only is the horn is to thin I feel for me to carve on it .I do want to try it next along with a fitted end cap that will allow a small shelf of horn for the strap.
I do have to say so far I am into black like never before and it is a good way to spend some of my time being I can no longer work because of my health. Who knows may be some day if and when I get good at it, it may turn into some thing but for now it is a labor of love and fun.

Mr. Gray said:
Wow! really nice!
You did the opposite as me. I started with carving the horn and chickened out when it came to the scrimshaw. :redface:

You really should give it a try. I started with a polished horn and found that horn is really easy to shape and carve compared to wood.

There is a satisfaction that comes from using anything made from your own hand that cannot be duplicated by anything store bought. And there's also the added value knowing that your horn is the only one like it.

Well done!

Turned out real nice! So many hobbies, so little time, :shake: I can really feel for you! it's very addictive huh!!!!!!!!! :blah: :blah: :wink:

50cal.cliff said:
So many hobbies, so little time, :shake: I can really feel for you! it's very addictive huh!!!!!!!!! :blah: :blah: :wink:
Boy that’s a mouth full for sure. Fact is I am looking for another horn right now but just not doing to good at it. this time I want one only polished not finished as I want to do that and try another scrim on it
And again thanks every one for the kind words but you all addicts I can see as you seam to encourage every one to become like you so that you will not stand out :blah:

Back