• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Finished Horn

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

No.4shot

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Made this horn for a guy at work.

DCP_1794.jpg

Now time to think about my next project.

Good one #4 shot. have you ever used powder horns&more? I was thinking about sending to them for another horn. Did you dye the body of the horn? I still have your Ph# I will call sometime. Len

I built this exactly like the guy wanted it. He wanted a tansil style horn. The only scrim that he wanted on there was his family badge. It is going to be a fathers day present for his dad. they are both into civil war reenactments. The tip is naturally balck and I died the body using old bones. I really like the colors it gives me and there is no boiling. The spout plug is a piece of antler that I turned on my lathe. That was also a request of his.

No.4shot said:
The tip is naturally balck and I died the body using old bones. I really like the colors it gives me and there is no boiling.
Pardon the ignorance, but how do you "dye with old bones"?
:confused:

deano said:
Pardon the ignorance, but how do you "dye with old bones"?
:confused:

Its actually really easy. You dillute 1oz with a gallon of water. Submerge horn. Check it every 5-10 minutes. Anywhere from 15 to 45 minutes your good to go.

Pardon my ignorance, but I'm still stupefied! 1 oz of what??? Ground up old bones????? :confused: :confused: I really like that color and would like to get it for a horn I just finished.

deano said:
Pardon my ignorance, but I'm still stupefied! 1 oz of what??? Ground up old bones????? :confused: :confused: I really like that color and would like to get it for a horn I just finished.

I agree. really nice color! And nice horn all around! I've never heard of the bone coloring. How does it work?

I've got a horn in the works that's ready for staining and I'm all for avoiding RIT dye.

deano said:

1oz of a product called "Old Bones" by Howard Robinson. If you go to the craftsman section and do a search you will find a cheaper alternitive that I was going to try when my supply of Old bones is gone.

Thanks, Mike, I found the website in The Craftsman area for the company who has the Old Bones. Appreciate your comeback. I didn't know it was a product name. I thought it was sort of like "brain tan" only doing it with old bones. :shake: :shake: :youcrazy:

It's basically potassium permangenate (spelling?). It oxydizes the horn, darkening it.

What would it affect on a finished horn, that has a brass filler plug, RIT coloring on the tip and some scrimshaw? I guess I should probably leave "Old Bones" for my next horn.
:( :(

You can do more in variation of coloring with RIT dye than with that Old Bones stuff!....A wash of wood stains over RIT and other things are popular methods.

Rick

Back