• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

legal issues and shipping

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nmubowyer

32 Cal.
Reaction score
does anyone know what you have to do to ship a bp revolver. i just bought one dixie and the cylinder doesnt always rotate so they told me to send it back and i didnt need an ffl but i checked with the postmaster to be sure i wouldnt go to jail and they said i couldnt ship it without an ffl unless it was nonfunctioning and going to a museum, any suggestions i dont know any ffls in the area?

A muzzleloading, black powder, non-cartridge fire arm is NOT considered a "firearm" by the rule of law. It can be shipped by UPS, USPS, FEDEX, etc., with no allowance for an FFL.

UPS, will require it to be open @the shipping point to verify that there is no ammo included with the gun.

Probably, the point of confusion, is that it is a revolver, and looks just like any other modern firearm.

I'd take it to the USPO, boxed securely, send it as an antique collectible, insure it for the full amount including postage, and send it on.

I mail muzzleloading firearms all the time with no problems, other than the inspection thing @ UPS.

hope this helps.

Could be how you asked them. I have always said it is a non fire arm and leave it open for them to see and seal it there. I know in some states even a muzzleloader is by state law a fire arm so it could depend were you live. I know some will not ship to some states because of this. States like N.J. N.Y. HI, and calif are included in the no ship for some and others only the first few. there may be some I missed so look into it but then again I ship by ups but prefer usps when it comes to me so that all I can base it on

go to USPS.com and print out the rules.
USPS rules

The firearms stuff starts with section 11.0

The stuff you are interested in is...

11.1 g. Antique firearm means any firearm (including those with a matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, or similar type of ignition system) manufactured in or before 1898, or any replica thereof, if such replica:

1. Is not designed or redesigned for using rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition.

2. Uses rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition that is no longer manufactured in the United States and that is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade.

11.2 Antique Firearms
Antique firearms sent as curios or museum pieces may be accepted for mailing without regard to 11.1.3 through 11.1.6.

Put the revolver in a Priority Mail box and ship it. If there a problem pull out the rules and help them understand them. Truthfully I haven't been asked for the last 20 times or so.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just list it as antiques or machined parts, state the value and the less you say the better. The USPS employees know nothing except "Oh My God It's A Gun" and that's all she wrote---they are not going to ship that gun no matter what you try to explain---they will have to be watered down with a fire hose to calm them down. Sad but true--- :thumbsup:

I sold a black powder pistol and shipped it to the buyer via USPS about three months ago. Before selling it, I contacted the Post Office to ask about any problems that I might have with shipping. I called an 800 number and was transferred to my local PO. There, an employee asked me several questions about the pistol, then quoted chapter and verse exactly what was printed in a few answers before this one. And when I asked him if I needed to declare the contents of the package when I mailed it, he told me that it wasn't necessary. As long as there are no regulations against shipping it and you can answer the standard questions that they ask whenever you mail any package, they don't care what it is.

The gentleman that helped me was courteous and seemed well informed and completely comfortable with answering my question.

sneezy

True, a black powder muzzleloader is not considered a firearm and I have mailed many of them; also received many through USPS. We have a small town P.O. and all they ask is whether there is anything breakable, flammable, etc. in the box. Even when the box is long and probably contains a rifle, they don't ask contents, not even when insuring it.

If Dixie shipped it to ya without going through a ffl dealer chances are there is no restriction in your state. Check you state laws, as far as fed. laws there is no restrichen on black powder revolvers

I tend to agree with Pasquenel. I shipped some ammo a few years back and no matter how many times I showed them the rules, they acted like I was trying to commit a crime and they wanted no part of it. Took me days to get through to a person of high enough "rank" to get my items shipped.

I say seal it up, call it collectibles and ship it. You're not breaking any laws, nor their rules, by not telling them what it is.

gunkiller said:
Check you state laws, as far as fed. laws there is no restrichen on black powder revolvers
This is so true :shocked2: ! With Gun laws state laws supercede fed law if there stronger then the fed law that is. To bad it dose not work the other way also and not just against ya one way street. It may be legal to ship and or receive were you live but may be not were your sending it!check a few of the online sights selling new ML you will see were they do not ship as some states :cursing: be it pellet gun or ML. call and treat them as fire arms period. Take a look at Cabalas and see were they do not ship ML's or if there is some other kind of deal you have to do to buy and have it shipped to you. I know there are a few places in the lower 48 that you can not ship them with out going threw a FFL or having a copy of there permit. I think it would be better safe then sorry and no offense to any one here but for me I would make dam sure first for my self and not trust any ones word as "I have done this or that" because there not the ones shipping this time! it is you and if any one gets nailed it will be you! This is my personal opinion and like every ones some times there good and some times they stink only you can say what way it is as I know there always good
PS I would have posted the link but there web sight is down right now sorry

This is from Cabela's web page on there info / buy for a 1858 New Army .44 Caliber Revolver
Item notes
ALL orders placed from or shipped to Illinois or Michigan, MUST be placed through the Catalog Gun Department .....in other words FFL I bet.
All black powder gun orders shipping to the state of Washington must be placed through the catalog GUN DEPARTMENT...same deal FFL needed I bet

and this
attention.gif

Like i said before I would make sure first and not take any ones word about what they have or have not done in the past. thanks to the gun haters out there for the extra :bull: gun owners have to put up with.

huntman58 said:
This is from Cabela's web page on there info / buy for a 1858 New Army .44 Caliber Revolver
Item notes
ALL orders placed from or shipped to Illinois or Michigan, MUST be placed through the Catalog Gun Department .....in other words FFL I bet.
All black powder gun orders shipping to the state of Washington must be placed through the catalog GUN DEPARTMENT...same deal FFL needed I bet

and this
attention.gif

Like i said before I would make sure first and not take any ones word about what they have or have not done in the past. thanks to the gun haters out there for the extra :bull: gun owners have to put up with.

Hey, something's wrong here. I don't see any restrictions for the Peoples Democratic Republik of Kaliforia. :wink:

There are some other ones that will not ship to some cities and a few to any were in the state. Because I live in the Peoples Democratic Republik of Kaliforia and is one reason I have seen this stuff and also now look for it. as in state laws there is nothing about shipping here only some city laws and because of that some have taken it to the max and no gun shipping here so they get no business from me because of that but the ones that do I deal with as there is no real sporting shop with in almost 60 miles of me so I online order a lot.

Back