• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Early Mowrey pictures

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doc Arroyo

Greybeard
Reaction score
Here is the gun that I asked about earlier. This is the first Mowery that I ever saw, and 2 years later I started thinking about one. That is when they started advertising the "new" forearm. Then this one came up for sale. It is .54 caliber, their Ethan Allen model 1835. This one is serial #02

IMG_0007.jpg

IMG_0008.jpg

IMG_0010.jpg

I have a .50 with the forearm. Mine is 198 of 500. It has a premium maple stock.Trigger is no good. had a 30lb pull, got it down to 9. It was made in Oney, Texas. It is a Bi-Centennial model made to hang on wall. It has gain twist rifling. Hand cut riflings. Says you can shoot 125grs and not strip the ball. !-60 twist.Weights 10lbs. The newer ones had the trigger suppended on both sides It only has 5 working parts.It has a real fancy brass buttplate that is on target rifles, starts with a S. Dilly

Doc...I never saw a Mowrey that didnt have a forearm... they show 3 in my early 70,s catalogue and the all have forearms. When THE union creek website was still up they ahow all thier modles with a forearm......
Nice gun! I love Mowreys!

I bought a .50 caliber Mowrey about two weeks ago. I toured the factory in Olney back in the 70's. I was born in Olney so always was interested in the Mowrey rifles. I owned a .45 caliber carbine years ago but lost it in my second divorce and had not come across another one until I seen the .50 caliber in the back of a rack at one of the local pawn shops. I could not pass it up, price was great. Serial number is 162. I plan on hunting with it this next season if I get drawn for a state park hunt.

I've never seen one like that with a brass forend. Were the early ones always made like that? My mom bought my dad a Mowrey rifle in 54 caliber for his birthday from a friend of the family. It has a really pretty curly maple stock, but the trigger pull was terrible. I don't know when it was made though.

Olney Texas produced the brass forearm modles and called them the " SCHUTZSEN" model. I dont thinkd Deer creek carried that model.

To no one specific. I bought a used one with wonderful blond tiger striped wood. Got is used. My only complaint is the angle the stock is to the action. Not very easy to bench shoot without a very high rest. Seems to be made for upright shooting. Are they all like this?

I had a carbine with wood forearm but all of the other Mowrey rifles I ever saw had the brass forearm. I have only seen the Olney, Texas made rifles, I have not seen one after they moved. The one I bought is the first one I have seen in about 20 years.

Back