• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

possum recipe

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glad to see another 'possum affacinado. If you catch one around a pumpkin, corn, squash or cabbage patch you can be assured of tasty eating. Careful to remove the glands at the leg/body juncture.

Blizzard,
Didn't say I ate shunk, just have a recipe for them, along with a lot of other critters I would not eat unless starving. Once while taking a survival course ate worms. Not something I'd offer up for Sunday dinner, but in a survival
situation, you betcha. :surrender:
snake-eyes :v

graybeard,
Well you did ask for a recipe, so here goes:
Incredients
salted water
onion
large apples
salt & pepper
sweet potatoes
After skinning and drawing freshly killed animal
(a country bred animal hopefully that has lived on roots and berries,etc.)Remove all excess fat possible.Soak overnight in salted water.Parboil until slightly tender.Carefully skim fat off surface of water, then remove oppssum from water.
Place in roaster, with onion and apple, cut in half, in body cavity.Lightly season.Add enough water to bottom of roaster to make plenty of steam.Place sweet potatoes around oppossum.
Bake at 325 for 2 1/2 hours. ENJOY!
snake-eyes

What! No hot pepper in that recipe! One or 2 dried red cayennes stuck into the gut cavity would add some 'ZIP' to Mr. 'Possum', and dust him good with flour when you lay him in the DO. Careful to remove the glands at base of legs. And put some coals on the lid of that DO. Jeez, some folks just don't know how to cook 'possums! :blah:

They are carrion eaters.
Old folks at home mention shutting them in the corncrib for several days to clean 'em out.
Dunno, ain't been hungry enough to et one.

as are bears, they are 'eaters of oppurtunity', wild fruit, berrys, acorns, roots and grubs etc. if found around orchards, vineyards,squash-pumpkin patch you be assured of good eating
I hope to find one this winter around a large cabbage patch a farmer has.

I personally would never eat this recipe for
oppossum because of the recipe, but because of the
oppossum. You that do I hope enjoy.
snake-eyes:hmm:

Come on guys. A possum's just an ugly coon or a skinny marmot. I can make a mean coon or marmot. Really, they all look the same after they're skinned. As far as being scavengers goes, so are pigs. If we had 'em around here, I'd give it a shot. I make a fine BBQ coon. :)

The last coon I cooked was parbioled for about 2.5 hours with apples, onions, and a cup or so of baking soda. Once its done, scrape off the external fat. Then coat with bbq sauce and slap it in the fridge for about 30 minutes. That pulls the sauce into the meat. BBQ on low heat to brown a bit and smoke it some. Eat it with good corn bread and what ever sides you prefer. Fried sweet potatoes and onions are good along with some fresh veggies from the garden that you just kept the coon from eating. The BBQ sauce I use is a mixture of Bull's Eye, peach preserves, garlic, cumin, red chile, basil, and oregano.

Sean

Mrs. Brumbaugh used to cook a baked coon with new potatoes in a white German type gravy. That pot got wiped clean with bread to get the last little bit before we would return it! If I knew the recipe, I would eat a lot more coon! She used to cook one for us during deer season, and I still remember it almost 40 years later!

Sean said:
A possum's just an ugly coon or a skinny marmot.
Sean,
You are most likely right,and hell, they might even
taste good,prepared properly.But my problem is,
at 9or10 years old seeing a family of them
crawl out of the belly of a dead horse,while
rabbit hunting with my dad.
Again I say no possum,no way:barf::barf:IMHO
snake-eyes :hmm:

A young half grown possum ended up in one of the camp pest traps along with several Eastern woods rats.
I rubbed him with fresh cracked pepper and sea salt. Cooked him slow over the fire pit allowing the grease to drip off into the fire. Towards the end, I mixed a little KC Masterpiece with water and basted the outside with it every time I turned it.
Taste was excellant. It was tough and stringy like a squirrel gets over the fire a lot of the time. A neighbor stopped by and tasted some. Over the fire you always wind up with some inner portions near the bone not nearly done enough, and I don't think that is appropriate with possum. I am thinking Dutch Oven, white gravy, and new potatoes next!
I also discovered something else. While I knew the lots of animals don't eat dead possum, I did not know that they will not eat the cooked bones either. Kind of makes ya wonder!

I think anybody who would eat a Possum would eat a rodent. Oh, wait a minute. :hmm:
Sean,I remember eating Racoon once. Feller did it up on the BBQ. Like chewin' on a rubber ball. Gave the rest to the dog, and he spent the rest of the day lickin' his arse tryin' to get the taste out of his mouth! :rotf:

I'm glad some body posted different than the 'fried taters&onions' post even if is a whack at the possum eaters! :surrender: I'll have to trap one time permits and fatten up on apples and dog food then roast and foto to post! :haha:

Possum is among the most tender meat going, if it is roasted in a good pan with about a 1/2 inch of water. Remove the glands for sure. I have eaten it, but to tell the truth the grease sloshing around in the bottom of the roaster sorta turned my stomach. The meat had an.......uh...unpleasant texture to me.Now young coon smoked on my big smoker for about 10 or 12 hours...that's eatin.

I wonder how well the Possum fat would render down. It is pretty slick stuff!
As far as eating rat, not yet!
Possum roasted in the oven falls apart. On a spit over the fire is a different story! Different taste also.

I was at a friend of mines farm his past weekend and we went out to look at his herd. We walked over to gully where he drug a dead Holstein cow that died by unknown means, back in late Fall. The carcus flesh was petty much intacted and ripe from a long way off. Seems that even the coyote's didn't want much to do with it!

As we started to leave, my friend saw some movement from the dead critter and from the belly area....mostly rotted out by now! Out lumbers a 'Possum, that must been having it's lunch inside the animal!.......Sorry to be so graffic pards' but you can have all the 'Possums you want...just don't invite me to dinner that day! :barf:

Horner
My point exactly!!!!!!Most likely,I assume you were not 10 years old when you had your experience with this critter as I was at the time.
To all you opossum lover,eating folks...I hope you harvest and eat them all!!!Every last one!
snake-eyes:hmm:

when you par boil it, throw a little baking soda in the water. same with most any nasty critter especially a turtle. then i cut the possum into chunks, drain the water and wash the baking soda scum off everything, put the meat back in the pot with some water and a half handful of red pepper flakes and boil till tender. drain the water off, toss the meat in some cornmeal breading with salt and pepper, and either pan fry, or deep fry till crisp... mmmmm

if you find a possum, take him home and put him in a crate and feed him apples and milk. lots of apples and milk.3 or 4 days later, he's ready to eat.

Back