• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Thompson Center Warranty?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerem0621

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I just got a .54 cal New Englander. The barrel looks great on the outside but the lands look like they are almost non existent, almost like the barrel has been shot several thousand times. Do ya'll think Thompson would replace this barrel with one that has better rifling? The gun looks beautiful. I guess my real question is should this barrel still shoot ok with the rifling shot out pretty smooth?

I really just wanted the stock for a shotgun barrel I have yet to buy but If they will replace the barrel I will surely let them.

Thanks,

jerem0621

if there's no visible rifling at the muzzle, it may be a "QLA" barrel, that was done on purpose from the factory to ease the loading of maxi balls. much like coning the muzzle. I have one in .50 just like that, still shoots RB fine!

Sounds like you already have your shotgun barrel. :grin:

Seems to me Thompson Center has quite shallow rifling and some have shallow rifling intentionally at the muzzle. I'm sure Roundball will step in here and give you the correct information.

jerem0621 said:
I just got a .54 cal New Englander. The barrel looks great on the outside but the lands look like they are almost non existent, almost like the barrel has been shot several thousand times. Do ya'll think Thompson would replace this barrel with one that has better rifling? The gun looks beautiful. I guess my real question is should this barrel still shoot ok with the rifling shot out pretty smooth?

I really just wanted the stock for a shotgun barrel I have yet to buy but If they will replace the barrel I will surely let them.

Thanks,

jerem0621
It's probably the QLA false muzzle you're seeing (as was mentioned)...can't imagine someone shooting a TC muzzleloader enough to wear down the lands

Nope, It's not QLA. The lands just look very shallow. Maybe it was just made that way. My .50 cal New Englander has deep lands so I was expecting this out of the .54. The .54 looks like its much older than the .50. The sights are different. The .54 has a square notch rear sight and the .50 has a "v" notch.

Thanks again,

Jerem0621

jerem0621 said:
Nope, It's not QLA. The lands just look very shallow. Maybe it was just made that way. My .50 cal New Englander has deep lands so I was expecting this out of the .54. The .54 looks like its much older than the .50. The sights are different. The .54 has a square notch rear sight and the .50 has a "v" notch.

Thanks again,
Jerem0621
Grooves on the standard barrels are more shallow than the round ball barrels...standard=.006", RB=.010"

hmm that makes me wonder if this thing is a fast twist rate. :barf:

I'll find out in a few min

Jerem0621

Well, I tried to measure the rifling twist. My ram rod took about 6 inches to make a quarter turn. That means that my rifling is about 1:24 right? Does anybody else’s Thompson have a fast rifling rate? Thanks again.

Looks like I'm going to be shooting conical out of this thing. :hmm:

Jerem

Yep Kentucky is right, all the New Englanders had a 1-48" twist. Somehow you aren't measuring right. Are you using a good tight fitting patch and letting the rod turn as it comes back out? Push the rod and jag to the bottom, put a mark with a felt pen or something right at the muzzle and in line with the front sight. Now slowly pull the rod out letting it turn with the rifling until it makes a 1/4 turn. Now measure from the muzzle to the mark on the rod and multiply by 4.

Jeremy: YOu will get more accurate result using a bore brush an oiled patch on top of the brush when attempting to measure the rate of twist. The wire bristles poke through the patch, digging into the corners of the grooves, to keep you from skipping over the lands. That guides the jag properly so that you get a true measure of the ROT. If you just use a couple of patches on top of your cleaning jag, you have to have the exact right touch to keep the jag from turning faster than the rifling.

I took a brush and patch to it and ya'll were right. 1:48 twist. pretty cool trick.

Jerem0621

Back