• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New T/C Lock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Finnwolf

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Sent my 8 year old flintlock to T/C Arms last week because it has really been performing poorly - mostly weak spark, not all the spark directed to the pan, poor flint life and washboard effect on the frizzen.
Today a box arrived with an brand new lock in it, no explanation. What are the differences and what kind of performance can I expect compared to the old lock?
Thanks,

Last edited by a moderator:
Rick Butler said:
So if my Penn. Hunter Flintlock is 11 years old it has the old style lock?
Compare what it looks like to these 2 photos:

OLD STYLE TC FLINT LOCK ASSEMBLY...note severe "S" shape to hammer, and the "notch" in the back edge of the hammer right above the hammer mounting screw...also, the hammer is quite short with the bottom jaw just barely clearing the "fence"...and the frizzen is case colored

TCFlintlockOldStylecloseuprightside.jpg

NEW STYLE TC FLINT LOCK ASSEMBLY”¦note much more gentle “S” curve shape (and no notch), it’s much taller with the lower jaw clearing much higher above the fence, the frizzen is solid jet black color, and you can see the huge new style vent liner in the photo

SAVE5CLOSEUPNewStyleLockArea800REDU.jpg

Roundball: I have A unfired Penn Hunter Carbine with a black frizzen but what looks like an old style hammer do you think i should send it back to t/c it's a weak sparker--Spud
lock001.jpg
lock002.jpg

I would priority mail the lock assembly to the attention of the Service Manager with a description of the problem...based on TC's typical response they will at least upgrade the appropriate parts or send you a whole new lock...although as new as that one looks, they'll probably just put a new hammer/top jaw and jaw screw on it as that's all it probably needs.

Mine looked like that and they replaced the whole lock. Sent it in last Saturday and the new lock arrived today. I must say this is great customer service and goes above and beyond what I expected. I've never been wowed by T/C's products but you just do not see service this good very often anymore.
I just hope the new design works better than the old one did. I used to get about a dozen shots from a flint and I've had to replace the frizzen several times.
Finnwolf

Finnwolf said:
Mine looked like that and they replaced the whole lock. Sent it in last Saturday and the new lock arrived today. I must say this is great customer service and goes above and beyond what I expected. I've never been wowed by T/C's products but you just do not see service this good very often anymore.
I just hope the new design works better than the old one did. I used to get about a dozen shots from a flint and I've had to replace the frizzen several times.
Finnwolf
If the word 'perfect' can even be allowed to describe anything, that's the word I'd use to describe TC's redesigned locks...been shooting a dozen of them most every weekend year round and just never have any lock problems...get long flint life, outstanding ignition...no more flint bashing or grooves worn in the frizzens, etc.

NOTE:
I've seen a post on this forum where someone advocates immediately tinkering with a TC lock by grinding off some of the tail of the frizzen...and I put that "advice" right in the same category as advocating the use of lead flint wraps instead of traditionl leather...completely incorrect advice for TC's redsigned locks.

No modifications whatsoever need to made...or should be made...to TC's redesigned lock assembly...and I base that on personally using TC's new locks for close to 10,000 shots now...and doubt seriouly the poster who said that has ever even shot a TC with a new style lock in it, much less 10,000 times.

In additon, TC's lifetime warranty goes right out the window when unecessary modifications are made to their locks...so that is a piece of advice I can categorically say is incorrect about TC locks and should not be followed whatsoever.

Too many "directives" get posted by people who have seen them posted somewhere, accept them as an across the board statement that applies to all locks, then simply repeat posts them on this forum as if they know what they're talking about, yet they have no personal hands on experience with the specific subject whatsoever...so as usual, a full dose of skepticism should be reserved for any source who claims to know everything about everything.

My personal hands on experiences with TC's redesigned Flint lock assemblies has been that they are flawless right out of the box since the late 90's now...my best performance has come from using Tom Fuller's 3/4"W (x7/8"L) black English flints on my redesigned TC locks.

From what I have seen of the new T/C flintlock, its the finest factory-made flintlock action being made today. Don't mess with it! There is also no question that the older model lock had lots of problems. To the credit of the company, it has finally corrected those problems. Its only sad that it took them so long to do so. ( Yes, there are equally fine quality locks available from lockmakers like Chambers, Davis, and L&R,but they are not making complete guns for sale.)

Too late for me........My firt flintlock was a T.C Hawken kit in '81....with the agate flints and bad lock geometry (that I didnt know existed then) turned me off to flintlocks for 20 years. I thought it was normal for hardly no sparks and flashes in the pan..........Never did open that itty bitty touchhole up any..........Didnt know any better. I took off the flint hammer, installed a percussion hammer. Ground off the pan and made a half moon cut in the lockplate and took out the liner and used a drum and nipple and lived happily with no misfires for another 10 years before sellling it......
Now that I know what a flintlock is supposed work like ,I sort of wish I had my Hawken back to take advantage of T.C's replacement parts......................Bob

Well Itook the Penn. Hunter out of the Safe and I've got the old style Hammer on it. Will pull the lock and put it in the mail to T/C tomorrow. Thanks again for posting the pics.

Rick Butler said:
Well Itook the Penn. Hunter out of the Safe and I've got the old style Hammer on it. Will pull the lock and put it in the mail to T/C tomorrow. Thanks again for posting the pics.
:thumbsup:

im glad i saw this thread. i put my t/c on the wall this fall after a couple big fights. it cost me 3 deer this fall, i about wrapped it around the tree the third time... its getting sent in today :grin: thanks to you guys, maybe betsy and i can make up

... WHEW!... That's all good news to me... cause I just purchased a new T/C flinter...... best of luck to you guys sending them in for rehab... I too have heard good things about their warantee work...
Bob

i went and emptied the 2 barrels today... the spiteful thing fired 4 shots in a row :shake: she must know she's in trouble...

Back