• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pedersoli Howdah loads

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Snakes? What kinda snakes you got in yer oart of Oregon, all we got is garter, and water snakes. People keep telling me we got rattlers here in Orgon, but in all the years i have lived here and all the time i spend in the woods and canyons hunting and fishing, i have never seen one. Killed lots of them when i lived in Ariz. Taste like Froglegs. :grin:

Yeah, I get those little ones in my front yard occasionally. I haven't seen any rattlers yet, either, although the BLM people tell me they're up in the hills south of here. A couple of them said they've seen several, but I don't know where they're hiding. I've only lived here for 'bout a year now, so I'm still learning the country.

But that doesn't matter as it's really just another thing on the list of 'reasons' to buy the pistols I want. Which, in my book,
makes it legit. :grin:

I just bought the MTV pistol yesterday at Dixon's in Kempton pa and I went to the range today to try it out I used 30grns of goex ffg an over the powder wad that I punched a hole in and a PR I only fired the right barrel. I shot at about 15 yards and kept them all on the target which was a center replacement for a full size police silhouette. just for the heck of it I fired two shots at 25yrds. one was on the target and the second right above it. I bought this gun as a fun gun and I'm looking forward to trying shot etc. I have several of the MTV guns and feel that they are safe. I hope you get one and really enjoy it.

Winston. I think we bounced PMs a few times.

I'm also thinking more long-term in my gun purchases. I don't plan to stay here forever. I'm thinking about relocating again to another state when the kids are grown up. There are a bunch of areas I'm considering, and a snake gun will get a lot of exercise in several of them. Also might be fun to try for small game. I like a challenge. :grin:

"I have several of the MTV guns and feel that they are safe." So do I or I wouldnt try the loads that I do, but you never know when someone had a bad day ect ( like his cow got ran over ect) I've shot some of the full auto stuff from that part of the world and it shot just fine - to get a real gun off a bad guy! :rotf: ) Really just dont want anyone getting hurt from loads I use, these short barrels your not going to get a lot of psi built up but you can move your bal or other load in the next barrel off the charge! :shake: Reallybad thing to do. Fred :hatsoff:

Thanks Fred when I try loading both barrels and shooting I will check the unfired barrel to make sure the load is staying in place.

Would be good to do, kid fired off 10 shots today and some of the heavy stuff .600 ball without card will work its way up after other barrel with 1 1/4 of shot was fired. ( 2 cards fixed it well,you will also want to watch your ram rod, they work lose and get lost fast. :grin: no big deal just something to keep in mind. ( loads 45grs 2 F) Fred :hatsoff: ( if you use a shot cup its going to be like a slug first 15 feet or more) :rotf:

Jumpshot said:
She said their next shipment has left Italy...the shipment they're expecting will be large enough to cover all the ones they currently have on backorder and then some.

Well, I have to amend my previous post. I got updated info from Dixie this morning. They're hoping the shipment that left Italy recently will be ready next month, but they were given wrong information about the size of it from the folks in Italy. It only consists of 20 pistols, not enough to cover all the ones that were on back order before I ordered mine.

So there's no telling how long it will take now... :(

MVTC had some of theirs in shortly before Christmas. Don't know if you would be into those though since you're looking for the matched set with your boys. I had mine out this past Sunday for the first time.I literally had a blast! Gotta work on loads and accuracy yet, this was just my "Get Acquainted" trip to the range. It didn't shoot too bad though. I used 48 gr.( two 24s due to the spout) with everything, balls, #2 buck and #4 bird. Loading sequence for buck and bird was powder, over powder cards ( made from cereal box cardboard, used about 5-7 of them since they're thin), felt wad done up in beeswax/parafin/mutton tallow,shot, one or two cereal box overshot cards. Ball was powder, felt wad, PRB (patch was pillow ticking, ball was .600, a little stiff to start).

Isn't Flintlocks still the main dealer in these ( Pedros) that is?,or did Dixie buy the contract out? FRED :hatsoff:

mine's percussion. I'm also using 3f, not 2f. I don't see why the same load wouldn't work in yours.

Thanks, mine arrived today and I am going to try and go shoot it Thursday or Friday. I have about 2 lbs of 2F on hand so I think I am going to start with that. After I shoot it I'll let you know how well it worked!

ETA I am actually going to start at 30 grains of powder and go from there. How long are the barrels on the percussion version?

KevininPa said:
Nine inches
Thanks! Life has gotten in the way and I haven't gotten out to shoot it yet. Maybe this Saturday, there's a cowboy match at a local range I belong to but I haven't finished gearing up yet. I might go by to jaw jack and then go to the pistol range and try this Indian flintlock out.

Well, I see Dixie is advertising these now and their recommended load for the 20-gauge is 25 grains FFg and 7/8 ounce of shot. That's less than one dram. While I would not care to be in front of the barrel when that load goes off, I certainly would be concerned that such a load fired at a grouse might make the bird resentful, if little more.
I have the Pedersoli 20 gauge double barrel Howdah Pistol, which has the same barres as the Pedersoli 20 gauge Baker shotgun, both are 11.25" barres and Pedersoli say 60 grains in the Baker but 25 in the Howdah. I have shot a lot of buck shot with 60 grains of fffg black powder and it shoots fins and it is still like new, no cracks on the stock or any other damage. So in my opinion and experience you can safely fire 60 grains of fffg black powder in the 20 gauge double barrel Howdah Pistol.

Thanks! Life has gotten in the way and I haven't gotten out to shoot it yet. Maybe this Saturday, there's a cowboy match at a local range I belong to but I haven't finished gearing up yet. I might go by to jaw jack and then go to the pistol range and try this Indian flintlock out.
Well, did you ever shoot the Pedersoli that Saturday in 2008?!😎

Latest posts

Back