• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Gun Show Find

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick Butler

32 Cal.
Reaction score
My son and I attended a huge gun show today. Spent a few hours wandering thru the maze of people and vendors. As I walked by one table, out of the corner of my eye I caught a glimpse of an Octagon Barrel with attached Ramrod sticking up above the Muzzles of a rack full of Centerfire Rifles and Shotguns. I turned around and found a .54cal T/C Hawken. Tag said $185.00,Dealer said "$125.00" I said "Sold".
The gun has a few minor dings in the Stock,some areas of rust on the Barrel, the bore is a rusty brown in color and the set trigger has some "issues" but overall she appears in decent shape and I figured for the price I could'nt go wrong. Will refinish it this Winter and take it on a Boar Hunt this Spring.

Rick Butler said:
My son and I attended a huge gun show today. Spent a few hours wandering thru the maze of people and vendors. As I walked by one table, out of the corner of my eye I caught a glimpse of an Octagon Barrel with attached Ramrod sticking up above the Muzzles of a rack full of Centerfire Rifles and Shotguns. I turned around and found a .54cal T/C Hawken. Tag said $185.00,Dealer said "$125.00" I said "Sold".
The gun has a few minor dings in the Stock,some areas of rust on the Barrel, the bore is a rusty brown in color and the set trigger has some "issues" but overall she appears in decent shape and I figured for the price I could'nt go wrong. Will refinish it this Winter and take it on a Boar Hunt this Spring.
Sounds good Rick..and remember, not the rusted barrel of course, but TC will honor their lifetime warranty at N/C even if you aren't the original owner...so if the trigger asm or lock has a problem, mail them to TC's Service Manage with a memo, etc

See if the previous owner tried to adjust the set trigger. I have a .54 TC Hawken I found in a pawn shop. When I tried it the set trigger wouldn't set. I noticed the screw was almost all the way in. I backed it out until it would set the trigger, then a little more until the pull was what I like.

Jim

I found the set trigger would'nt set because it was screwed in too far. Fixed that, but now when I set it and pull the front trigger, 9 times out of 10 the hammer only drops to the half-cocked position.

Sounds like fly is not working right, it keeps the hammer from falling into half-cock notch when the gun is fired. Dilly

Pull the lock and look at the plate that holds the parts together. The two screws that hold the plate on always vibrate loose on mine and the parts shift enough that the fly pops out of position. You may have to compress the hammer spring to get everything back together and in positon. I use a small pair of visegrips on the mainspring shaft after I have pulled the hammer all the way back. That is what happens when my rifle starts acting the way you discribe. I always check those screws every time I clean my rifle.

Robert

Robert58 said:
Pull the lock and look at the plate that holds the parts together. The two screws that hold the plate on always vibrate loose on mine and the parts shift enough that the fly pops out of position. You may have to compress the hammer spring to get everything back together and in positon. I use a small pair of visegrips on the mainspring shaft after I have pulled the hammer all the way back. That is what happens when my rifle starts acting the way you discribe. I always check those screws every time I clean my rifle.

Robert

Way back when I bought my first TC, this happened all the time, and Robert is correct in how to fix it. If you want to end the problem more or less permanently, once you have everything back in line and the plate tightened down, pull one screw at a time and put a small amount of blue Loctite on it and then replace it. Repeat with each screw.

Geraldo said:
pull one screw at a time and put a small amount of blue Loctite on it and then replace it. Repeat with each screw.

I've also had the problem of bridle plate screws coming loose, used a drop of blue loc-tite on them as well

Thanks guys for the tips. Yup I pulled the lock again, loosened the screws as you suggested and got everything lined up and in place as it should be. Will dab a little loc-tite on them next time I pull the lock.
Worked on the bore last night. Scrubbed it out good with CLP, a bore brush and OOOO steel wool. It came out pretty good with just some minor pitting noted. Next I'll strip the finish off the stock and re-do that. I really appreciate your suggestions and pointers, thank-you.

Back