• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

cheekpiece

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pork Chop

58 Cal.
Reaction score
Can anyone give me some direction on the shaping of a cheekpiece? I need to know how "thick" it needs to be, as well as how you come up with it's other dimensions. The style I am looking at would be like the one on the nice pear stocked rifle that was posted.

Thanks y'all!

That was a Lehigh style, like mine. Can't help much, but at least I can take some images of Cherry Girl to give you a general idea.

HPIM0428.jpg

HPIM0433.jpg

HPIM0434.jpg

HPIM0425.jpg

HPIM0422.jpg

I'd really recommend you get a full size line drawing (T.O.T.W. sells them) before you put rasp to wood.

"I'd really recommend you get a full size line drawing (T.O.T.W. sells them) before you put rasp to wood."

Good advice 'Chop'

I think the drawings are like 5 bucks

To get a good impression of what a stock looks like, you need a blue print that shows cross sections of the different stock areas. the more cross sections the better.

I wouldn't recommend the blue prints from track.
I've got their Isac Haines print and theres no cross sections of the stock.

I bougth a print of a J.P Beck rifle from Paul Taran at[url] www.curlymaple.com[/url] . It shows 5 different cross sections through the stock.

I think he also has a simulare blueprint for a leigh rifle.

Best regards

Rolfkt

Last edited by a moderator:
The pictures help. I will try to scale that cheekpiece to my stock.

I don't know that drawings will help since I am not building a copy of one that they have plans for...

Just measured the cheekpiece and it's location on the Bucks County I'm presently building and the rear lower corner is 4-1/4" from the buttplate and the length of the cheekpiece from the rear lower corner to the front lower corner is 3-1/2". I prefer to have this size and location to accommodate carving behind and in front of the ckeekpiece. The LOP on this LR is 13-3/4". The lower line of the cheekpiece shouldn't be parallel to the toeline and should be "aimed" at the wrist center and the cheekpiece edge as viewed from the top should angle to the wrist..Good luck....Fred

Thanks Fred! Great info!! I don't know if I will be able to carve anything worth a poot, but I may give it a try. Can you tell me how far the cheekpiece extends from the body of the stock? Basically the measurement from underneath?

I hope that my response above does not come across as crappy as it sounds when I re-read it. I was in a rush - not trying to be snotty there.

The height at the rear corner is 7/16" and at the front corner it's 5/16". I've also made them w/ the front 1/4" and rear at 3/8".These dims are more than that of a lot of "originals" but looks good to me. Again, good luck.....Fred

Cheekpieces are hard to get the hang of. Lehigh cheekpieces are REALLY hard to get the hang of.

I would suggest the Gunsmith of Grenville County. It has a very detailed section in it on how to shape and size the cheek piece.

Back