• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tenn Mt. Buttplate Quandary

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old40Rod

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I just received my Tenn Mt walnut precarve from PR today, along with various parts... I'll post some photos when I get a chance. It is a very nice piece of walnut and shaped very nicely. PR does a top notch job.

After laying things out and doing some eyeballing, I am concerned that using the recommended Tenn Mt. buttplate, which is fairly curved, will result in a too short trigger pull. I'm 6'3" with fairly long arms, and the stock actually fits me fairly well as it sits uncut for a buttplate.

The potential problem, as I see it, is that the toe of the buttplate is a good bit rearward of the crown ... meaning, I assume, that I am going to have to move the crown inward toward the barrel so the toe catches the wood when I lay things out to cut for the buttplate.

An ideas for a substitute with less curvature that would look kosher on a TN Mt? Cold bend it to reduce the curve? Am I crazy, or is it just me?

remember that the curve in most Tenn and southern mountain rifles goes in the upper arm (between the bicep and the deltiod) this will make a subtle change to the geometry of the whole system, and the length of pull issue may well resolve.

just a thought.

(i', still tinkering with my PR So. Mtn. ... you're right; they really do nice work)

I have a GPR, so that is how I am mounting the rifle. An awful lot of wood will have to come off the accomodate that buttplate, which is going to shorten up the stock quite a piece... hmmm....

I'm not sure how long your stock is but I'm 6'4" and my tennesee rifle has a 14 3/4" LOP and fits like a glove Here's pic of the stock and really you dont have to take off that much wood. I think many tall people try to go to far with the LOP on their guns find a gun that fits you will and measure from the inside of the arch to the front trigger you may be suprised

here's a pic of mine
gunpics004.jpg

Nice looking rifle 54Mountain!

The TN Mt buttplate looks like it is more curved than the one on your rifle (see photo at bottom):
[url] http://www.longrifles-pr.com/tennesseemtn.shtml[/url]

The TN Mt precarve also has less drop at the heel, which may make a difference on how it all feels.

In order to fit the plate on this stock, the front of the buttplate crown would be even with the back of the cheek piece. I called PR, and they recommended I swap it for their TN Classic buttplate, which has less curvature and looks closer to the one on your rifle.

So, that is what I am going to do. I still may have to bend the TN Classic buttplate a bit... but we shall see.

I must add that the buttplate and trigger guard PR sent have about as good as finish as I have seen on cast muzzleloader parts right out of the box.

Thank you all for your responses.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back