• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Cabelas Sporterized Hawken??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wink

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I was looking at a cabelas catalog and saw a Cabelas sporterized Hawken. Does anyone have any familiarity with this rifle. It had a 1/48 twist and was available in a 50 or 54 cal. Im interested in your thoughts on quality, accuracy and dependability. Thanks Wink.

I've had one for a couple years now. I like it. It's well made and shoots good. I did replace the nipple though. :hatsoff:

I've got one in .54 shoots and handles great! comes with lousy nipple change it out and you will never have a problem :thumbsup:

I've got a .50 carbine version with 1:24 twist. Bought it used,"unfired" at an internet auction. Deadly accurate at 100 yds. with a 240gr. XTP, a green Hornady...sabot ( :redface: :nono: ) and 80gr. Pyro RS. Other combinations aren't so hot.

It had a few little niggling problems. The ramrod would just about fall out if the muzzle was pointed down...no spring. Fixed that with some fuzzy velcro in the rrod channel.

Rear sight elevation screw turns way too easy. Gotta watch it or it'll change on you. Put a witness mark on it to help.

Had some misfires at first. Nipple neck needed sanding down a bit to get cap to seat better. Been fine ever since.

It's made by Investarms, like the Lyman GPRs. However, I think Cabelas pays them more to get a little better fit and finish. Other than the minor problems above, I think fit & finish on mine is much better than either my GPR or my GPH. It's really quite a neat little gun. The chrome bore and stainless cleanout screw are nice touches as well.
FWIW
Bob

I have the CABELA"S HAWKEN not the sportize one and I can put 3 round balls in a playing card at 50 yard I'm complety satisfied :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Well be buying there 54cal flintlock soon :wink:

I had a sporterized hawken in 58 cal. a few years ago. It was accurate if I kept the powder charge down around 65 grains. after 65 grains it would shred the patches. In the 50 cal it should be ok with heavier charges. Mine was shredding them from the ball stripping the rifling. Before you shoot it get an Uncle Mikes hot shot nipple. without it I had misfires galore. With it, it is 100% reliable. Good gun for the money.

Back