• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Uberti 1858 Remington questions.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TANSTAAFL

Cannon
Reaction score
Wife bought me a Uberti Remington 1858 for X-mas. (from Midway, so on back order of course)

The last time I had one of these was back in the 70's, and I always remember those pesky little internal flat springs breaking if shot very much. (always at the most inopportune time) Have they improved on that problem, or should I just go ahead and buy the spare springs now?

Do the factory nipples still take a #10 cap? I will likely be changing out to SS nipples later.

I know some shoot a .451 ball, but I always seemed to get best accuracy with a .454 which shaved off a nice little lead ring.

Tanstaafl: I have a pair of Piettas from Cabelas in transit. There's a wealth of info on shooting the Italian Remingtons on the cowboy action and Civil War sites, as well as a site devoted just to shooting the Remingtons. Google them. I think you'll find the quality control has improved quite a bit since the 1970s from both Pietta and Uberti.

BillinOregon said:
Tanstaafl: I have a pair of Piettas from Cabelas in transit. There's a wealth of info on shooting the Italian Remingtons on the cowboy action and Civil War sites, as well as a site devoted just to shooting the Remingtons. Google them. I think you'll find the quality control has improved quite a bit since the 1970s from both Pietta and Uberti.

Thanks for the info about the quality improvements, and will take a look at the dedicated sites for more info.

I had been interested in getting another C&B and had talked about the Uberti being the best. But from reading a bit here in the pistol section, I note many of the Pietta shooters seem perfectly satisfied with theirs.

I also read where Zonie wrote that the newer replica 1858's had the later designed improved cylinder/pin configuration to lessen the binding problems, which was a PITA on the one I had.

Quite a bit of difference between the two as to prices. She paid $249.00 at Midway for the Uberti, but I have seen the Pietta below $200.00

Also, I saw where Cabela's offers a spare cylinder at 40 bucks for the Pietta, curious if they will work in the Uberti?

Looking forward to playing with it, for they are a hoot.

Here is information about my 58 remy. It is a Uberti Mellenium. I have had it about 6 years. I bought it for civil war reenacting. So living firing wasn't a primarty issue. But I live fire this pistol the most of any of the 7 or 8 civil war repros I have. There has been seveal thousand round balls thru it and I havn't had an issue with any of the springs. I shoot a .454 ball over 25-30 grains of triple 7 and a wonder wad.
I have purchased 4 spare cylinders for this pistol.Won't go into why so many :haha:> My son has a Pietta Remy in S.S. and for giggles we tried one of the cylinders in it. Fit perfectly, and timing was the same. The only problem is it's not SS but blued steel.
I pick My cylinders up from[url] www.VTIGunparts.com[/url]. The price runs about 29 bucks if I remember right.
My suggestion that if your goin to load multiple cylinders is to pick up a revolver loading stand for under $20.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a couple of Pietta 1858 Remingtons. I have a new 5 1/2" barrel model I havent shot yet and the conmversion cylinder for them.
I like the pietta brand better. I have had Uberti's pistols before and always had springs break and parts snap. So far the Piettas are fine. I would recomend buying from Cabelas. If you search the net for coupons you usually can find a free shipping code and when you order a couple hundred bucks from them they send you a voucher for $20 off your next order.
Thats how I ended up with the second Remy.
The only other cap and ball pistol I would want is the Pietta 1860 Army 44 from Cabelas.
Cabelas has great customer service. I know people have returned pistols simply because they didnt like the color of the grips and they sent them another one.

Howdy! I've owned both the pietta and the urberti 58's over the past few years.Both were great and fun guns to shoot. Right off the bat you'd notice the difference in the size of the grips. I have a small hand and the urberti fits me perfectly. I owned the pietta first, and my accuracy suffered for a while until someone let me shoot their urberti. If you have larger hands the pietta would probably fit you best. Other than that...no internal probs in either. :wink: Tess

Maybe I went to the wrong link, priced here at:

5 A432/ST44 Pietta Cylinder .44cal with Nipples (1858) US$65.00

[url] https://www.vtigunparts.com/a...8+Remington,+Target,+Tiro+.36cal,+.44cal[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
Wooow!!! the price of steel must really be affecting our pistols! Honestly I bought mine last fall from there for around 29 buck or it may even have been 39 but not 100!!!!!

Euro versus the $ complex. I guess when they get a willing horse, they just flog it another mile.

While cruising around the net today, found this video clip.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBAATBWR1L0&feature=related[/youtube]

Boy, kinda makes ya think they didn't have much stopping power huh? But that little pocket pistol did the job. :grin:

Shot a pot-load of revolvers during my time and haven't broken a spring yet. Think most makers have gotten the spring tempering routine down pretty good now. I like the Colts better, just a personal thing but the Remingtons will hold another 5 grains of powder or so, if that's a consideration. When you get bored shooting it that way there are now conversion cylinders to let you shoot low pressure cartridges! :shocked2:

Rebel said:
Boy, kinda makes ya think they didn't have much stopping power huh? But that little pocket pistol did the job. :grin:

You also noted the right handed shots from the 1858, then he pulled the little one with his left hand and fired.

When you get bored shooting it that way there are now conversion cylinders to let you shoot low pressure cartridges!

I noticed the conversions, they seemed to cost more than the pistol.

But I have other wheel guns for condom loads.

I would be reluctant to order a Pietta cylinder for a Uberti. Have swapped cylinders around on quite a few brands of cap & ball revolvers with mixed results.

For example, this past year I had a newer stainless Pietta 1858 with an extra Pietta stainless cylinder. Had access to two more newer stainless Piettas.

Just playing around, tried the extra cylinder in the other two 1858's. In one it worked perfect, in the other one it was catching/hanging up as it came into final lockup. All three '58 Piettas were not too far apart serial number wise.

Think it would be best to get a Uberti spare cylinder since you would order it and can not try it out before buying. Of course all that depends on how much you are willing to spend... might be worth the gamble if Uberti cylinders cost a lot more. :hmm:

Best wishes for good shooting and Happy New Year!

Tan,

You're the Greatest...What a nice New Years present for us pistoleros! :thumbsup: :applause:

6 shots with the .38 conversion cylinder at point blank fanned into the bad guy! :) Then for dramatic effect, he still needs capped! The NEW YORK RELOAD does the trick! :haha:

Now on to the question at hand! My Uberti 1858 Remington New Model Army (actually it's my Son's) likes 25-30 grains of 3Fg Goex, a wonder-wad and a .454 ball. Great load and so far, no need for parts! I don't yet own any extra cylinders.

My Son & I do have two custom built pistol loading stands that we use every time we go to shoot the revolvers. These really help in seating the load the same depth/pressure every ball, which is the first step in getting good groups. Our Uberti's ('58, 1860 Army, Walker and 3Rd Model Dragoon) all take number 11 caps...some like Remingtons & some like CCI's as far as staying on the nipple goes!

Enjoy your new Christmas present & let us all know how you do with it!

Happy New Year!

Dave

Thanks for the info as to loads, caps & etc. I will be buiding a stand also, maybe two, one for the pistol and another for just loading the cylinders

Back