• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Range Report and Questions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brik847

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a White Mountain Carbine .50 and am working on loads for balls. Yesterday was the first day I got serious about it (I have been shooting conicals since that's what the rifle is designed for.) I bought some 3f to try instead of the 2f I have been shooting. 3f sure is "quicker". No ignition problems, so I'm happy with that. I found all my patches and wads after the shots and they were all in great shape. In fact, I had to use some of them as I ran out of patches.

Using .490 ball with Joann Fabrics pillow ticking and an over the powder felt wad. For lube, I used a smear of mink oil on the barrel side of the patch. At 25 yds. I started with 50 grs. and with the exception of the first shot, which was up 2" and right 2", it was bullseye, bullseye, bulleseye. Jumped to 60 grs. and the story was the same. I was ultra methodical yesterday, shooting with another guy shooting black powder - we kind of "helped" each other. Followed each shot with a spit patch swab and then a dry patch swab.

Moved to 50 yds. The best story is that all the bullets were within 2" of the bullseye, . . . but the other way of saying it is 4" group. I had a good sight picture, using a TC tang peep, so I need to tweak this load some to tighten it up. I can go up and down with powder amount. I suppose I can try something different with lube. I know I can do a better job "managing" my trigger. I think I did a good job of following through.

Do you think more or different lube will make a difference? I guess I can try that.

Would 60 grs. 3f be a satisfactory deer load out to 50 yds.?

If my patches are in good shape, do I need to try a filler of some sort?

I suppose I could look for some .495 balls, but I think I would need to go to a thinner patch. What do you think about that?

My last two shots were at 100 yds. just for kicks. I thought the ball would drop like a conical, but it hit right where I aimed -- high. My next shot I put the top of the blade right on the bull but was about 10" right. I'll worry about 100 yds. when I get 50 yds. tightened up.

Thanks for any feedback. Traditional black powder shooting is the best. I had a blast.

welcome to the wonderful world of rockbanging!

yes, it may well be a good idea to tinker with the load. other stuff you could consider: patch thickness, ball diameter, lube mixture, wadding or cushioning (felt is most common) behind ball.

of course, only change one variable at a time, and (if you suffer CRS as i do) write down the changes and results.

no, i suspect that 60 grains is not really enough powder to drive a ball into bambi with sufficient authority. although others may (no doubt will) disagree, i'd use a good bit more. most BP shooters have a target load and a heavier hunting load.

good luck with your project!

msw

Sounds like you're well on your way...figured you'd be impressed with 3F...its fast, clean, and accurate.

IMO 60grns of 3F should be OK for a deer at 50 yards if you're always certain of yardage under hunting conditions and have a clear shot without having toi deal with heavy bone...my personal view is I like to have more power than I need and not use it vs. need it and not have it...ie: if a B&C buck steps out at 100yds I don't even want to have to pause and think about it...I use 90grns but that's me.

Sounds like a great range trip!
:hatsoff:

I would try one thing at a time, and the first thing would be what I have on hand. I have a friend with the same rifle and he shoots 60g of Pyrodex RS, .490 ball and a .15th patch. If you have some 2f try 50-60g of that first. I had one rifle that was real pickey about what lube I used, so definatly try that. If you have a few .495 balls, give them a go too. I spent most of one summer fine tuning a rifle I had, but I can tell you, I knew that rifle by fall. I won a competition and shot 2 nice whitetails that year. Good luck and have fun.

My next plan is go up in powder to see what happens with more 3f, then go back down if things open up rather than closing down. Then I'll go back to 2f in equal measure to compare side to side. Then, I think I'll mess with lube. Maybe I was a little light on the lube. I suppose I could mess with filler, but I figure since my patches are OK now, it might not matter too much. I think that's the last thing I'll do.

Well, I may get some static here, but 60 gr. of 3F will kill a deer at 60 yards. I have done it more then once. Good shot placement is what counts here. Not how heavy of a load you shoot. Years ago I tested this load out on a 2"x4" at 100 yards. I figured if it had the power to pass through the board at that range, it would have enough power to break bone and do damage on a deer.
I found it to be a good load for target and hunting with the TC Hawken I have. Of course I had a problem with that barrel after about 20 years, and my son (With the better idea.) had the local dealer send it back to TC. They replaced the barrel and Oh do I wish I had the old one back. It shot that load better then the new one ever will.

IMO try a heavier charge (an '06 caseful of 3F is around 72 grs) and a tighter fitting ball, ie .495. you might have to grease the patch a little more but since you are using a felt overpowder if it is too tight to load without pounding down go to a thinner patch. I have always got tighter groups in my .50 with a ball that is closest to bore I.D., ie .495 vs .490.

If the rifle was designed for conicals it probably has a fast-twist barrel. If it has a fast-twist barrel, (1:24 or 1:28 for instance) the results that you're getting now are the best that you're going to ever see. I know this from first hand experience watching an Olympic shooting coach trying to shoot an inline with PRB's! Too much spin for the balls and his groups just wouldn't tighten-up!

That all being said, IF your rifle has a 1:48 twist like my Lyman trade rifle, it will handle PRB's just great! In doing a little homework on the White Mountain Carbine, I found a couple of them, both with 21" short barrels. My trade rifle has a 28" barrel and burns 70 grains of 3Fg Goex quite well. A 21" barrel will probably max-out it's "sweet spot" at around the 60 grain load that you're using now.

Best advice I can give is to make the patch around that .490 ball as tight as you can stand it so that the maximum amount of powder will actually finish burning IN THE BARREL, instead of just outside of it. You're being handicapped by the length (or lack thereof) of your barrel.

Now if this Carbine has a 26" or 28" barrel, then try my 70 grain loading of 3Fg Goex and a .020 pre-lubed patch with an over-powder wad as well.

Good luck and have a Happy New Year!

Dave

Bought some .495's, made some moose juice per the recipe.

I think I'm going to try more lube - including lubing the barrel after the ball is seated.

I do have some powder burning out of the barrel. I'll have to keep this in mind - can't be very efficient.

Sounds like you're on your way.
I made the switch to 3f for my .54 WMC a while back. Being so short, I figgered it would burn a bit more powder instead of blowing it out.. Seems to have worked. It shot well with 2f but better with 3f.

bucktales said:
Sounds like you're on your way.
I made the switch to 3f for my .54 WMC a while back. Being so short, I figgered it would burn a bit more powder instead of blowing it out.. Seems to have worked. It shot well with 2f but better with 3f.
Totally agree...through my own personal time at the range, I know that 3F is better all around in my rifles...use it in all caplocks, Flintlocks, and calibers, both 28" and 33" barrels...all I've been ordering the past few years is Goex 3F.
:thumbsup:

Back