• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Horn number 7

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AeroncaTAL

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Here's a few pics of my seventh powder horn.
No7_3.jpg

No7_5.jpg

No7_4.jpg

The Red Tailed Hawk and Red Stag Deer I scrimshawed are some more of my daughter's artwork. I love it, I toss the horn to her and ask her to draw something on it. Then all I have to do is to cut it in... :grin:

Scott

Ya Swampy, it works out pretty good. I like the style that Sarah has developed. She has an intuitive grasp of form and structure and can sketch out something just from memory. Wish I could do that...
Scott

I don't know what the wood is. I picked it up at Woodcrafters in Salem in their bargin bin. They have all sorts of exotic wood, so hard telling what it is. It had a nice curl to it, but I didn't think it was going to look all that good when I turned the butt. It wasn't until I put some LMF Cherry stain on it that the figure came back out. Making horns is like a box of chocolate, you never know what you're going to get... :wink:
Scott

RC said:
...and ya stayed in the lines!! :thumbsup: :haha:
When I first started doing this scrimshaw work, I hated it when a cut would go past the line or I would slip and a line appear where I didn't want one. I'd think, oh man, this is going to look like manure! With practice, now I'm getting better and not making as many mistakes. Then Santa brings me Dresslar's book "The Engraved Powder Horn". I'm looking at all these original horns and guess what? They also made cuts that went past the lines, and slipped with the knife making lines that shouldn't be there. Guess I'm not doing anything different than the old masters... :)
Scott

grey whiskers said:
Very nice Scott! :thumbsup: Wish I could get the gumption to start horn number 1. GW
All it takes is a horn, some wood, a knife, a file and some sandpaper. Go for it!
Scott

dang it scott i tries ta make ya look good an ya go an get all honest on me! now..yer outta line! :blah:

Hey Scott

As a fellow horn builder, I really commend you on your work! Clean lines and a nice polished look overall.

I need to "fancy up" my horns somewhat, or else you're gonna make me look like a hack :grin:

With those big base plugs, do you ever hollow them out?

We will have to get together to hang out and talk shop

Keep up the good work

Iain

Lots of Horn Builders herebouts' maybe you guy could start up your own section or thread of something to share tips and pointer?Maybe a feller could learn something. :v

Thanks Iain, your horns look pretty good too. I'd love to get together with you sometime. You ever gonna come on up to the "M"? Love to see you there and maybe we can trade some lies.
Scott
BTW I did hollow out the butt somewhat. Maybe not as much as I could, but I'm learning.

Back