• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Brown Bess lock question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pepperbelly

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I looked again at the Brown Bess I found in a pawn shop.
The lock had what seemed to be a french name on it- I really should have written it down.
Someone in an earlier post mentioned the Bess models and mentioned a particular lock to avoid.
This was originally priced at $799.00 and is priced now at $499.00. I don't know if the price can help point to a particular manufacturer or not.

Can anyone tell me some specific things to look for to help me decide if I want it or not?

I also noticed that it doesn't have a rear sight. Are they all like this? How do you get any accuracy when there is just a flat, smooth piece of metal at the rear and a small front sight?
The front sight was attached on what I take to be the front barrel band. It also has a rear barrel band. Some pics I have seen of Brown Bess replicas don't look to have barrel bands. What models have them?

Jim

it sounds like it maby a french Charleville Musket,

does it look like this....
[url] http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?products_id=956[/url]

these muskets dont have a rear sight because they were designed to be fired in a volly, at the enemy, point and shoot, same as a brown bess and the "front sight" isnt a sight but a bayonette lug.

Last edited by a moderator:
It looks similar, but I am not familiar with the small differences of the muskets. I am not even sure the writing on the lock was French. It wasn't very clear
Do you have a close pic of the lock?
When I can get back there I will try to remember to take a couple of pics with my cell phone camera.

Are there specific details I can look for to determine what it might be? Number of barrel bands, lock, etc.? I don't remember if there was a name stamped on the barrel, and I did look briefly and would have noticed if it were stamped Pedersoli or another name I recognize.
The barrel was what I call in the white- not blued and not browned.
The lock is large and has that knob looking thing on top of the cock/hammer.

Jim

Besses don't have any barrel bands, the barrel is pinned to the stock. That goes for all models.

Charlevilles did have 3 barrel bands, and the reproductions reflect this. Of course, I'm not really sure what you've been looking at. Try to take some pics, and if you can't, at least try to read what's on the lock. That will probably help us identify it for you.

I followed the link and read the description of that musket. I do remember the rod having a trumpet shaped head. The lock may have been marked Charleville.
I don't remember seeing the Pedersoli name stamped on it, but there were other stamps on the barrel, I think. I really wish I had known what to look for. On C&R milsurps I can figure out the proof stamps, crowns and arsenal stamps, but I am a real newb on muzzleloaders.

I saw that the Dixie Gun Works replica of the Charleville musket is priced over $1000.00. Since it is a replica why is it so expensive? Is it just that they don't make as many of them as the Kentucky replicas?

Assuming it is a Charleville musket, and I get it, how hard are the components to get? Are .69 caliber roundballs hard to find? What about patches, or would I really need to cut at the muzzle? Could I use FFFg? I have 5 pounds of it.
I know any muzzleloader is fun to shoot, and none are real long range weapons, but what is the range for any kind of accurate shooting? What kind of accuracy are they capable of considering they are smoothbore with little to no sights?
Are these more geared for the re-enactor than the sport shooter?
Are the Charleville muskets any more or less desirable than any other, or is it just a personal preference?
Thanks,
Jim

See if you can get him down to $400 even. If so, buy it and see if you enjoy it. If you don't, you can probably sell it for $500 fairly quickly if you keep it in good shape. If you like it, so much the better!

Pepperbelly, for a rear sight you can put a groove in the tang that will give you a reference point. .69 molds are fairly common. Thin patching around .010 thick usually works well. In a Charley I would think a load of 80 to 90 grains of 2F ought to do well. With some practice and fiddling with the lock and sights, you can expect to shoot one hole groups at 25 yards and 6" - 8" groups at 50 yards with a smoothbore musket.

Many Klatch

Is the wrtiting on the lock TVLLE? You can get all the stuff you need for it and if the bore is .69, then it isn't a Bess, they were .75.

Rebel, that may have been the marking on the lock.
It isn't a Bess. It had barrel bands and the Bess doesn't.
It looks like it may be a Charlevolle musket, but I am unsure what year model.

Jim

The lack of a rear sight isn't a problem. Think of the gun as being a heavy duty fowler. Load components are readily available and the gun will serve you well in the field.

I"ll bet the inscription on the lock is
ST ETIENNE

That is where the 1777 modle was produced in France. They were also produced at Charleville
France. Both are referred to as Charleville muskets.
if it is a Pedersoli ....Pedersoli will be
stamped on the leftside of the barrel breach area.
otherwise it may be an Indian import and worth about what they are asking....if you dont mind Indian imports...that is...

Latest posts

Back