• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Peeked inside a thicket today

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roundball

Cannon
Reaction score
Haven't been in the woods since before Christmas weekend and had a couple hours midday today so I took a walk for some squirrels...didn't see any but while in one of my areas, with the season basically over, I tip-toed into the couple acre thicket where I know bucks always live.

just 15-20 yards inside the edge of this thicket there must have been a couple dozen rubs...aggressive rubs that started high on trees and went even higher...snapped a couple pics...saw one dropping the size of a cucumber...so there's at least one still in there...probably only moves at midnight!

Mediumcedarlongrub.jpg

Longtallrub.jpg

Tomorrow and Tuesday are the last two days of deer season. (can't hunt today, no Sunday hunting).

All these rubs and droppings are less than 100yds from where I've been sitting on the other side of the thicket this season...might go sit a different place around the other side of that thicket tomorrow and Tuesday...

Good Luck Roundball, I'm just starting to find some rub's & scrape's myself. I still have till the end of January to hunt & plan to get after them this week with the big cold front coming. :thumbsup:

You have taller deer than we do, our rubs are not that tall.

Our bucks are still running does and checking their scrapes, but with the full moon they have gone nocturnal for the most part.

It has been a tough year with all the acorns and new green growth browse growing that should not be at this time of year. I have yellow top blooming in the fields and it does not normally start growing until late Feburary.

RDE

Yeah, they've gone nocturnal here for a few weeks now...I was sitting at one place where I often see good traffic and when it got so dark I couldn't see the sights, I decided to just sit there for another half hour and see what movement there might be.

Sure enough, right at black dark I heard a lone deer walking slowly through the leaves 50 yards off to my right...take a few steps and stop, take a few steps and stop...had to be a buck for sure...then I could barely see a black silhouette of his body but too dark to see detail like ears and antlers...then I began hearing another lone deer moving cautiously out to my left front...so I agree they're still in there, just been pressured into going nocturnal...

Rubbed that tall = large buck!

Good luck on him!!! I recovered a 12pt that my buddy lost early in the season on saturday, a hoss. I am still seeing some good rubs like yours, so there is one around somewhere, but like yours: Prob moving only at night. At least that is my excuse for not killing him. :thumbsup:

Wess

Back