• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Are these barrels decent/safe?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I saw this advertised for $195 by Gray-star technologies:
1/3 Scale 6 Pounder Cannon Barrel. 23" long, 3.5" in dia. and weighs 35lbs, bore is 1”. It is an exact replica and was used by both sides during the civil war. The model looks just like the British navel cannons also. It is straight out of the mold and cast solid out of ductile gray iron with a steel liner that has over 70,000lb tensile strength. The fuse hole has not been drilled. Comes with drawings for the field carriage and information on how to make the wheels. You can save A LOT of money by building one yourself. Buyer pays shipping and signs a release form. 1/2 Scale 6 Pounder available and Full Scale Mountain Howitzer available soon.

I have two of the same barrels,I have shot the hell out of one with no problems, havent got around to drilling fuse hole on second, only been a couple years now. I shoot 120 grains of fg with a 3 oz lead ball regularly and never had a problem.

There have been two reoccurring problems reported with Grey-Star.

The play down the importance of a seamless liner, citing the sale of many cannons with seamed liners and no problems. They totally ignore the history and the totally ignore the N-SSA and AAA requirements for seamless liner. I removed them from the Cannon resource list. They demanaded I put them back on my list. I refused until they offered the seamless liner on their website. They now offer a seamless liner as an option. I don't know if they offer the appropriate welded breech plug per N-SSA and AAA guidlines. You should ask.

The second problem reported for GreyStar barrels was off center liners.

Two different people reported this problem on GBO. Both people got their cannons replaced by GreyStar after posting.

Before buying a cast cannon, I would get a copy of The More Complete Cannoneer by Matt Switlik and learn what to look for.

I found a picture of a GreyStar barrel.

standard.jpg

In fairness to Greystar, they did replace this barrel no charge.

While looking for this picture, I found a reference to Greystar telling the people that the cost of seamless pipe over welded seam was prohibitive. Someone did the reasearch and found the cost difference for the particular cannon discussed was $10.

To late to edit, but I should explain what you are seeing there. Tht is a piece water pipe run down the bore to show how far off centerer it is.

Bill have you looked at Hern Iron works?

Maybe I just got lucky but mine shoots straight as you could ask for. If you are new to cannons do some research, check out a couple of the cannon forums and different websites, theres a ton of good information available. Personally I feel safe with my Greystar cannons but that's my choice and everyone has to make their own decisions

I have one used it for some time no problems, but after reading the more complete cannoner I bored out the old seamed lined and replaced it with a seamless on just to make me feel better.
Andy

I don't think you got lucky with Grey-Star. They build a nice barrel. They have a lot of experience in metal casting cannon barrels. They just don't have a lot knowledge in the science of cannon casting,

They don't check things like they should. That off center barrel and a couple of others I am aware of should have never left their shop.

Have you checked your tube for alignment. It's simple to do. Just run a pipe near bore size and twice the length down the tube. Stand behind the gun and look down the tube and see if the cannon and the pipe point in the same direction. If the do fine so far. If they don't or are just off a little so what. I'll tell you so what. That means either the liner got soft and bent when the gun tube was poured or the whole liner moved and now your breech wall is thinner on one side than the other. Safety guidlines call for 1 calibar breech wall thickness completely around the breech, With an off center liner you may no longer have that.

With the liner of center even just a litle off center you also are going to get twisting of the barrel upon recoil. This can lead to breakage of your carrige and a flying barrel.

That seamed barrel will probably work just fine for you and is not a problem. It's down the road that is the worry. You must inspect that seam constantly. Look for the first sign of staining or rust. Do you even know where the seam is in the barrel. You must know. That thing is no different than the seam in a Damascus shotgun barrel. In their time they were no problem. Now later after years and years of shooting they are a landmines.

Strongly suggest you get a copy of Switlik's book. It well explain all these concerns in much better terms. And with pictures.

"welded seam " ya got to be kidding ! I read but never post on here I have 2 big guns ( bigger than rifles that is ) a coehorn and 1/2 size 6 pounder. Just to much to go wrong and you do get what you pay for ( as can be seen in your pic of bore)..just my 2 cents, much thanks Fred :hatsoff:

As I said before my barrel is straight, and yes I do know where the seam is. I bought my first cannon in the late 70's and have been collecting and shooting them ever since. They range from the smallest that shoots a .22 bullet up to a Lyle gun that shoots a 3 lb ball with quite a few other odd sizes in between. I dont claim to be an expert,just offered my personal opinion based on my experience.
Bob

If you are aware of the issue with Graystar and are dealing with them, fine. But as you say do your research before buying, and learning about the issues of certain companies is part of that we have shared here.

Back