• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tang and Barrel Problems GPR

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MSG

32 Cal.
Reaction score
:bow: Tho all who helped me out on my GPR barrel and tang issues (from like 6 months ago) many thanks!!!!! Big THAKS to GoldHunter and Old40Rod. Sorry for the late post back with the thanks, but Uncle Sam and Mr.Bush are keeping me VERY busy here in the army. After many hours of mixing filling, filing, and sanding, I now have a very nice GPR 54cal. I have spent MANY hours (most of my time offactually) at the range, and have out shot quite afew In-Line shooters, even against their scoped, so called muzzleloaders. I cant believe I used ot be one of those people. NEVER AGAIN!!!! I can now shoot about a 2 inch group at 100 yards. Impressed myself, and made some In-Line folks a bit mad. BUT AGAIN.... Many Thanks to all who helped me out!!!! happy Holidays, and Good Hunting to all!!!!!

You know, how many times have we heard about us traditional shooters out-shooting the in-line crowd? I've done it myself. Do you think it could be because the in-liners don't pull their rifles out until 4 days before deer season starts? I'd venture to say that traditionalists shoot not only for hunting but for the pure enjoyment of it. I think that means we get out to the range more.
Glad to hear your rifle turned out the way you want it. I think 2 inch groups at 100yds is great! :thumbsup: I'm almost there myself.

iraqvet13f said:
:bow: Tho all who helped me out on my GPR barrel and tang issues (from like 6 months ago) many thanks!!!!! Big THAKS to GoldHunter and Old40Rod. Sorry for the late post back with the thanks, but Uncle Sam and Mr.Bush are keeping me VERY busy here in the army. After many hours of mixing filling, filing, and sanding, I now have a very nice GPR 54cal. I have spent MANY hours (most of my time offactually) at the range, and have out shot quite afew In-Line shooters, even against their scoped, so called muzzleloaders. I cant believe I used ot be one of those people. NEVER AGAIN!!!! I can now shoot about a 2 inch group at 100 yards. Impressed myself, and made some In-Line folks a bit mad. BUT AGAIN.... Many Thanks to all who helped me out!!!! happy Holidays, and Good Hunting to all!!!!!

happy to hear that your rifle turned out so good!
2" at 100yds ain't nothing to sneeze at and you have a little bit of yourself in that rifle that talks to you each time ya hold her!
enjoy , sewerman

Glad to see your rifle came out well. Many of us here have outshot inliners more than a few times. Trench gave one reason this happens. The other is that throwing one or two pellets down the bore and stuffing a sabot on top is not a way to get decent groups.

When I used to reload a lot for supository guns, I used to work up loads for those to get the best performance out to them. That involved precisly measured loads with bullets seated with precise depth and pressure.

For my muzzleloaders I find the powder\patch\ball combination that gives the best accuracey. This takes a lot of time and nitpicky loading and testing. Something that most inliners don't do.

That makes me smile! :haha: Good to here it worked out. 2 " @100 is very respectable.

GPR lock question (excuse the hijack?). How can I get a hammer/cock off of the lock without messing something up. It seems quite securely wedged into its proper place. Tried wiggling, no wiggle. Penetrating oil, no help (there is no corrosion). Tapping everything, zip. Loosening screw slightly and tapping that, it's easy to bend that screw. Ball joint removing tool (haven't tried that or a 4# hammer... yet). Any suggestions regarding the "proper" method of removing a Flintlock cock from it's snug, square pin would be appreciated.

Back