• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

are green mountain drop in barrels truly drop in ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zukeeper1

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I am looking at the 15/16 barrel in 54 for my T/C Hawkens. I guess my main concern is , does the breech hook fit snug in the tang like the factory barrel or is there a little play ?
I assume they are longer than the T/C barrel to get full benefit from the slower twist ?

Everyone I have talked to that has had Hawkens said that they were drop in. Everyone with Renegades had to make some adjustments for the under rib and even barrel channel. Ron

thanks all , I feel better about ordering one now .
Even thinking about trying to fit the 50 cal T/C barrel that I am going to take off and put itinto a lyman trade rifle stock. the rifle was given to me. whoever built it took an angle grinder and ground the flat down next to the flat that says Lyman. Have no idea why but they really messed it up.

My 15/16 .54 TC drop in shoots with fine accuracy with anywhere form 60 to 120 grains of ff or fff. I have a .45 and .50 TC barrel for it as well and am thinking of fitting the GM TC drop in to my GPR. Just don't seem to have time for all the projects!

The GM barrel for my Renegade was a perfect fit. The wedge on my Hawken was loose for the GM barrel I bought for it. No big deal to fix though.

Nor Cal Mikie said:
Got a GM IBS 15/16 th. for my TC Hawken in .32 caliber. Fits like a glove. :thumbsup:
Takes all of 30 seconds to change it. :wink:

Hey NCM - Do you have any pics of your .32 Hawken? I am thinking about building up the same rifle. How heavy is it anyway?

How about it should or most the time.... I've only done 2 and both went right in no work at all. Fred :hatsoff:

Putting them in TC Hawkens, some have dropped right in, and some have required shortening the underrib and/or filing off the bottom of the wedge pin tenon so it doesn't hang down so low that it blocks the ramrod from sliding in.

I too have the .32 drop in barrel for my Hawken. It did drop right in without any problems. It is a real tack driver too, but too heavy to comfortably take squirrel hunting. Have done it a couple of times, but a little more weight than I like to hunt with. However, it is great for target shooting. The extra weight out front lets you "hold" better with the better "hang time". It looks like the other barrel except the thimbles are black instead of brass. Hope this helps, Jim

I have both a renegade and a renegade hunter. Instead of cutting the under rib I filed the stock a little. I wonder why some guys didn't have to adjust for that? Ron

Put two allen head screws into the breech hook assembly ... that helps keep it snug & from moving around on you! :grin:

Davy

Idaho Ron said:
I have both a renegade and a renegade hunter. Instead of cutting the under rib I filed the stock a little. I wonder why some guys didn't have to adjust for that? Ron
I think the sporadic proiblems with interference from an under-rib is due to the variances of TC stock dimensions, not variances in GM's under-rib lengths. I've bought and sold an awful lot of TC Hawkens over the years now and have been able see the evolution of stock dimension changes from the 70's through the 80's, through the 90's, to the present...the amount of variations in the Hawken line is incredible.

I've accumulated a number of GM drop-in barrels for TC Hawkens and have had to make mods on several of the barrels...I always make them to the replacable parts on the GM barrels because worse case, if I had to I could buy a new replacement GM part...I'd never make a permanent modification to a TC stock because I couldn't undo it like I could by replacing a small part on a GM barrel.

Back