• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A pair of knives for Christmas

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

50cal.cliff

58 Cal.
Reaction score
Here is a pair of knives and sheaths I have been working on for Christmas presents. They are both made from stainless. Not sure if I like working with stainless or not!
The large one is for my son it's got a left hand case, since he is left handed. :grin:
It's made some what like a large riflemans knife! It has got a brass guard and the handle is made out of Hickory. The sheath is sewn from 6oz. leather with fringe. Wasn't sure when I started this one but I think I like it.
The small one is for my son in law, it has a deer antler handle and the sheath is made from vegtable tanned leather. It's made kind of along the lines of an Arkansas Toothpick.

RickD the large one is the one that I cold not get to turn even a little no matter what I did too it! That's why I am not sure I want to do any more stainless steel.
000_0957.jpg

The antler handle was shaped and split and reground so the halves would mate back together flush
000_0960.jpg

Then both halves were hollowed for the thickness of the blade. The halves were pinned with brass pins.
000_0958.jpg

The large knife's handle is from a section of an on sledge hammer handle. It had completelely turned black from moisture and my origonal intenion was to leave it natural.
000_0962.jpg

But I decided to use some color to highlight the character in the wood. The pictures don't really show off the handle.
I hope the boys will like them! I think they will both appreciate the work in them as they have both seen the knives at different times as I was working on them over the past couple of months but, neither had an idea this was their Christmas.
What do you fellars think? :hmm:

Well now I`ll tell ya makes me wish I was on your Christmas list..We`ll have to do a knife swap someday..

Hey thanks Rick, :redface: but you don't have to pull my leg! :shake: Man I love those knife of yours with the Indian faces scrimshawed on them.Me I am still trying to get the hang of this knife thing! You should have seen the first mess I came up with. By the way Wick thanks for the advice on soldring the guard on the big knife!
I am working on a small skinner now! With Christmas right around the corner I don't know when I will get it finished.
Here's a quick tease! Very poor pic and this is still in the rough, it's got the markings where I cut it out and the edge has been quickly roughed somewhat.
I think it's going to be just right. Gonna be one of those when you pick it up it becomes an extension of your hand! At least that's what I am hoping.
000_0963.jpg

Bernie, does that handle look familar?

Wei Lonewolf does the scrimshaw for me..Runs around 80.00 to have her scrimshaw a knife

Thanks Davy, I have seen better :redface: unfortunately it hasn't came from me! Hey, but I am hoping this learning curve I am on won't have too high of a peak! :rotf: :rotf:

Great lookin' knives Cliff. I'm sure the son & son & law will like them , If not just box them up & send them my way :haha: I will pay the shipping cost :)

I don't see anything wrong with them. I'm sure the young fellas will treasure them. Thats what Christmas is all about- something from the heart...

Thanks everybody! :)
I always try to do things to the best of my ability, hopefullly my abilities will get better the more knives I build! :rotf: :rotf:
It's funny cause I'll say well I screwed that up and my wife says; "what's the problem" but, to me it's as obvious as a big zit on the end of your nose. :hmm: :youcrazy: :haha:

Back