• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New GPR 50 % fire rate

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gunbuster

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Have a new gpr. Goes off 50% of the time. Front of hammer is hitting the front of the nipple. This is the second one I have had with this problem. Would really like to fix it than send it back again. Although the people I bought it from were very good about sending a pick up tag and sending replacement rifle. Left hand model. Can the hammer be bent a little you spose so it would hit the nipple square?

Yep, you'll need a torch, carefully remove the hammer from your rifle, clamp in vise with soft jaws,heat to red, bend carefully,let air cool.

I had changed the nipple so many years ago on my GPR I can't remember if the nipple was a tall one or not. But at any rate, shortening the nipple some, maybe a quick fix as well. I am using a Hot Shot nipple in mine and have no problem with clearance. I do know I have on some guns, shortened the nipple to get good clearance.If you shorten the nipple, you may also have to turn the nipple dia. down some to get good cap fit. This is something I do though to ALL my guns.

I've heard they are very good about fixing stuff. So if its under warranty I would send it back. All though I'm sure I could do the work. Sometimes its cheaper. :)

If the front of the hammer is hitting the front of the nipple, then the nipple is allready too short, you need a longer nipple.

If it doesn't work, my policy is to return it to those who made it! If everyone did this, I think a lot of companies would start making things better. Thompson Center has the very best customer service even though my dealing with them were not caused by them but rather by previous owners of the rifles I bought. I can not speak on behalf of Lyman, but I think they will try to make it right.

shifty said:
If the front of the hammer is hitting the front of the nipple, then the nipple is allready too short, you need a longer nipple.
I think he is saying that the flange around the front of the hammer is hitting the nipple, not that the hammer recess is hitting unevenly. A shorter nipple may help. I generally prefer to fix small details myself because I can get it done and go shoot the durn thing versus packing it up, shipping it off and wondering when I'll see it and if it will be any better when I get it back. :grin:

Thanks guys. I think I will try bending the hammer. If that gets messed up then I will send it back. May call Lyman to get their good graces before working on it.

You could always order a spare hammer and see if it works better and if not then bend one. Then if you mess up the one put the new one on it and send it back to them?

I had the same problem but fixed it in two ways. That's cuzz there's kinda two problems going on.

I used a dremel to open up the cup at the front of the hammer face so I had good clearance. That helped but I was still getting failure to fire now and then, especially after a few shots that fouled the nipple.

Now, after seating a cap on the nipple I lower the hammer and push on it to seat the cap all the way down on the nipple. Even on a clean nipple, the cap always moves down another 1/16" or so.

I learned that trick from someone here on the forum. In my eyes it seems like the standard Lyman nipple has a little too much taper on it. I keep intending to chuck one in a drill and turn a tiny bit of the taper out of it, but never remember. I'd rather have a nipple slightly too small and crimp the caps to make them stay on, so even if take out a little too much taper, I think I'll be ahead.

All short term fixes rather than bending the hammer. But I think that even after you bend the hammer you're either going to have to work at seating the cap or changing/turning down a nipple to get 100% reliability, especially after the nipple fouls. Those caps just don't seat all the way down, so there's always some give when the hammer hits.

BrownBear said:
Now, after seating a cap on the nipple I lower the hammer and push on it to seat the cap all the way down on the nipple. Even on a clean nipple, the cap always moves down another 1/16" or so.
I personally would be very cautious in doing this. Pushing on the hammer to seat the nipple is asking for that gun to fire when you do not expect it to. The Lyman nipples leave a lot to be desired. Replace the nipple and see if that clears up your problem.
Scott

I agree! I'm careful as careful can be, you can bet. Don't recall who recommended it, but my hat's off to them for the short term solution to a nagging problem with Lyman nipples.

Which nipple works for you?

Back