• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lonesome Dove (COMMANCHE MOON SERIES)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bullmoose

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Comanche Moon Premieres on CBS in January
Source: CBS
November 21, 2007

Val Kilmer (Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang), Steve Zahn (Rescue Dawn), Academy Award and Emmy Award nominee Rachel Griffiths (Hilary and Jackie, "Six Feet Under"), Karl Urban (The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King), Linda Cardellini ("ER"), Elizabeth Banks (The 40-Year-Old Virgin) and Wes Studi ("Into the West") star in "Comanche Moon," a new six-hour mini-series based on the book by Larry McMurtry, and the final chapter in the "Lonesome Dove" saga to be made into a movie, to be broadcast Sunday, Jan. 13, Tuesday, Jan. 15 and Wednesday, Jan. 16 (9:00-11:00 PM, ET/PT, each night) on the CBS Television Network.

CBS are hoping this film series bombs out, They are showing it late and are not showing ads or trailers. This was planned for this year and it has been reset 4 time dates so far.

Cool. Commanche Moon was my second favorite book of the series right behind Lonesome Dove.

I hope that it is better than some of the others .. Lonseome Dove was a great one .. the rest were frankly forgettable. Seems McMurty got it right on the first one and blew it on the the rest.

Hope aginst hope ... I have read the Comanche Moon book ... IMHO it ok, but not great ... we will see! Good actors in it .. but it does not sound too good with the way CBS is handling it.

A Real shame since Lonesome Dove was so good, that McMurty cannot get his stuff together. Maybe he was just one hit western wonder afterall. :shake:

Davy

Wow, you and I agree? I may have to rethink my position.

But seriously, I think that Lonesome Dove is the Great American Novel. The miniseries is a rare example of what heights television can achieve when it wants to. But everything McMurtry wrote after that book has been nothing but a wopping disappointment to me.

jbg said:
Wow, you and I agree? I may have to rethink my position.

But seriously, I think that Lonesome Dove is the Great American Novel. The miniseries is a rare example of what heights television can achieve when it wants to. But everything McMurtry wrote after that book has been nothing but a wopping disappointment to me.

True on ALL accounts! :shocked2: Scary .. ain't it? :hmm: Must be sumthin wrong here! :blah:

Davy

I thought that Streets of Laredo and Dead Man's Walk were crummy books. While no Lonsome Dove, Comanche Moon was the only spinoff that held my interest. As far as mini series go, I thought that Return to Lonsome Dove was horrible and Wes Studi as famous shoes was the only character I thought was interesting in Streets of Laredo. In Dead Man's Walk the only character I liked was Keith Caradine as Bigfoot Wallace. Hopfully they will elevate the franchise back up to the standard of Lonsome Dove with the new one.

lakota said:
Hopfully they will elevate the franchise back up to the standard of Lonsome Dove with the new one.

I don't think that is possible. Nothing McMurtry has done since Lonesome Dove has even come close to that one's quality.
I watched part of the miniseries last night. The casting was perfect, and everyone in the movie reminds me of people I have known over the years.
As much as we all might hope, that book is one of those rare perfect gems we encounter in lfe that can never find again.

While I didn't mind the "cowboy" books I thought that the Sin Killer book was awful.

Back