• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Horn questions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam Isrow

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Hey guys, I just built my first horn and would like to build another. I've got a couple of questions though.

1. Need a source for good quality horns, preferably already polished, that i can carve and scrimshaw on. If I have to order them on the internet, I'd like a company that will look out for their customer, not just throw the first horn on the pile into a box. TOTW seems to be out of my size for now.

2. I've got a couple of rough horns that i've been trying to smooth out myself. I read somewhere to use a butter knife, but it's taking forever. How do i get it smooth and get rid of some of the high areas?

Any help with either question will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

powderhornsandmore.com.......:black][/color is a common and good source for most people making powder horns. Their best cow hornsar listed on Ebay and most of the time bring premium bids.

Use a good cabinet scraper or sharp knife to scrape your raw horn. Once you get the feel of scraping a horn, you will like it better than sanding and have a better finish. I've made several hundred powder horns over the year's since 1975 and always open to a better way!

I forgot to mention, that you can take a wood rasp and files to take out the high and rough spots and work the horn down uniform, before carving to shape and smoothing to finish.

Remember! True Craftsmanship takes time....Not speed! :thumbsup:

Rick

A big yeppers to all the above, give John a call at powderhorns and more, tell him what your looking for, he'll do ya rite! I have a vixen file that I use after the rasp, if you go across the grains left by the rasp with the vixen, (or super shear) it makes quick work of removing those gouges and leaves a fairly smooth surface! Hope this helps, Beav

Crowhunter
The horn in the pictures in this link was got from Powderhorns & more. I would highly reccommend them myself. This is my first horn, (so please forgive my mistakes as I am way still learning) and I have been more than pleased with what they sent me! You can selectively pick your own horn there. I did! :thumbsup:
[url] http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/214510/[/url]

Davy :grin:

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for the tip on powderhorns&more. I'll be getting hold of them asap and ordering a horn. Also, I'm on the lookout for a scraper. Will have to give it a try.
Thanks again!

Back