• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I went P/C hunting yesterday........

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Protrucker

45 Cal.
Reaction score
well, as P/C as I've gotten so far. I even wore that "hair" that my wife bought me as a gag.(my head, really, is clean shaved, but the facial hair is mine)

I went out across the road from my house for the afternoon. There's a place over there that has produced several bucks for me in the past. I sneeked in & got into this thick spot on the edge of a hemlock stand. There are some wild grape
vines there & I knew that this year was a good year for grapes so I figured it would have activity. I sat there all afternoon & didn't see any wildlife at all. Not even a squirrel or bird. It was starting to get late, I checked my watch. It was 4:25, in ten minutes I'd start heading out. About one minute later, I noticed a dark spot in the woods to my right that wasn't there before. I watched for a couple minutes & it finally moved. A buck! Then it worked it's way around until it was right in front of me about 20 yards away, but behind brush. As it moved toward my left I picked a big hole in the brush and got ready. When he stepped into the opening?I squeezed the trigger. He jumped, turned straight away & ran about 10 yards, stopping behind a couple trees. All I could see was the back edge of his right hind quarter. I couldn't believe that he was still standing there. I started reloading & my ball starter broke when I tried to start the ball in the bore. When that happened the gun slipped & ended up laying in the snow. The deer still stood there. I picked the gun up & brushed the snow off the ball?in the muzzle & out of the lock & finished?seating the ball. The deer hadn't moved yet. I leaned to the left to see if I could see more of him & couldn't. Then I leaned to the right, still couldn't see him. I waited for a couple minutes & finally I saw a nose to the right of the trees. Slowly I could see more & more of his head. Then his neck & at last his shoulder. Finally, I took another shot. He ran to the right & away, but only 5-10 yards & went down. Both shots hit him, but the first one was a
little too far back. The second shot went in right behind the right shoulder & exited through the left shoulder.
Copyof1stPCNYBuck.jpg
[/img]

Congrats on the deer. Good story and Great Hair. :grin: Maybe you could send it on to 'ol RC to use now. :rotf:

Hello from Germany!

Good story and good buck! today I was in the same situation when roehunting, but wasn't able to make my shot. The roe jumped away in the moment I put my sight on it. Damned ! :cursing:

Regards

Kirrmeister

-----PICTURE PERFECT PICTURE----- :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: look like you just walked out of a history book---GREAT JOB--- :thumbsup:

doulos said:
Good job, What caliber is your gun? I like the looks of it.

It's a .54 that I got from Tip Curtis. I loaded it with 80 gr of FFg Goex & a tick patched round ball.

Thanks all for the comments.

Cool beans!

Nice that he gave you a second chance without the long track.

Can't see your foot gear in the pic, but I have a related question I'll post now here in the Hunting threads.

I started reloading & my ball starter broke when I tried to start the ball in the bore. When that happened the gun slipped & ended up laying in the snow.

S m o o t h. :rotf:

You da man! To keep at it until the critter is got is what it's all about. Never give up!

Hugh Glass got nuttin on you. :hatsoff:

Congratulations. :applause: :applause: :applause:

Grats on yer success! :hatsoff:

Great story. Cool duds. Nice pic. Tasty venison. :thumbsup:
And ya didn't even have to track him. Good deal!

Back