• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

DIY from scratch ... possible? References?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aldebaran

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi there!
I'm looking for information about making a flintlock pistol from scratch (no kits). I know that it sounds strange, but that is ... Can some of you give me advices/references/templates?
Thanks!

Sure, like the man said, anything is possible. Now you have to decide on your definition of "from scratch". Are you going to make your own lock? Barrel? Hardware? Plant your own tree? :haha:

Pistols aren't that much different from rifles to build, so the "gunsmith of Grenville County" is a good reference. High end antique dealers have go quality photos, often from numerous angles, and lock internals. then you can scale photos up, and print them full size for patterns.

That is how my dragoon came about, but I did buy a lock and barrel, so I can't call it a scratch build.
MD_0023.jpg

Thats is nice looking pistol. What caliber is it? smoothbore? cal.? barrel length?
Thanks
Billk

billk said:
Thats is nice looking pistol. What caliber is it? smoothbore? cal.? barrel length?
Thanks
Billk

It is a .58 cal smoothbore with a 10" or 12" barrel....I can't remember right now! :redface:

Doc Arroyo said:
Sure, like the man said, anything is possible. Now you have to decide on your definition of "from scratch". Are you going to make your own lock? Barrel? Hardware? Plant your own tree? :haha:
No, I can't wait 30 years for the tree ... but for the other parts ... yes!

Doc Arroyo said:
Pistols aren't that much different from rifles to build, so the "gunsmith of Grenville County" is a good reference. High end antique dealers have go quality photos, often from numerous angles, and lock internals. then you can scale photos up, and print them full size for patterns.

Do you have the book? How is it? Are there enough informations about every aspect of the building phases?

Doc Arroyo said:
That is how my dragoon came about, but I did buy a lock and barrel, so I can't call it a scratch build.
MD_0023.jpg

Very nice piece of work!

I found Mike Miller's DVD very helpful...

BUILDING A KENTUCKY PISTOL featuring Mike Miller, DVD, 2-disc set, 3 hours, $29.95

Google it and you can find the cheapest price. I didn't build a flinter, but just watching his procedures was much help. He is a great maker, IMHO.

If you want a book, ditto on Gunsmiths of Grenville. It has way more information that you may need starting out, but everything is in there just about.

aldebaran said:
Do you have the book? How is it? Are there enough informations about every aspect of the building phases?

Yep, I have the book, and recommend it. But no, it doesn't really go into alotof detail on barrel and lock making. In the day, barrel and lock making were forged and filed. Today most are made by stock removal with lathes and milling machines. I ain't much of a machinist, so I can't be more help on those skills.

Good luck with what may become a long term project! :hatsoff:

Old40Rod said:
I found Mike Miller's DVD very helpful...

BUILDING A KENTUCKY PISTOL featuring Mike Miller, DVD, 2-disc set, 3 hours, $29.95

Google it and you can find the cheapest price. I didn't build a flinter, but just watching his procedures was much help. He is a great maker, IMHO.

If you want a book, ditto on Gunsmiths of Grenville. It has way more information that you may need starting out, but everything is in there just about.

Thank you for the tips!

Just for your information, I got the DVD but wasn't exactly what I was looking for! :shake:
Anyway, I got from a friend the Jaco BP lock blueprints for a horse pistol and for a Hawken rifle ... so I think I can start with my project (at least I can Buy what I need)! :)

If you want to bore and rifle your own barrel, I highly reccomend you get on Bookies site and order a copy of his book on the Iowa Rifling Bench. He gives detailed instructions on building the rifler he uses in his shop. It is simple, economic and it works( I have taken a turn on it).[url] http://www.iowatelecom.net/~toadhall/[/url]

Also for those of you who have his site book marked his site, the address has changed as of Tuesday. The above link is his new address.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hats off to you Doc :hatsoff: ....that is surely a purdy gun and I agree with 50cal.cliff, that is from scratch enough to be "scratch built" in my books

Mountainman56 said:
Hats off to you Doc :hatsoff: ....that is surely a purdy gun and I agree with 50cal.cliff, that is from scratch enough to be "scratch built" in my books

I totally agree on both counts!
But there are some who simply have to say I did it "all myself" or have to try it for themselves.
While I hav'nt yet, I may get there one day.
But locks and barrels(and sometimes furniture are things I totally understand one using store bought. And many the so-called masters of the past
also used furniture made by others, so that is PC.

Another excellent video would be "Builiding Muzzleloading Pistols" by James Turpin. $30 for the DVD/ or again, it's rentable on smartflix.

Hey Aldebaran:
I got time too. I've made two lock, stock and not the barrel rifles. It's my current hobby.A couple of hours now and then down in my little dungeon workshop, I'll whip up a gun each winter. Locks aren't so hard to make, each part has it's own difficulty. The hard part for me is a decent buttplate& trigger guard. I'm not about to get into casting brass or forgeing at this time. It all depends on how much stuff you have available, tools, machinery etc. A smooth barrel pistol should be a good first effort. A smaller rifleing broacher for a pistol barrel should be something you can do if you study Bookies web page. I think he's got some books for sale that would be advantageous to a from scratch guy. He's done it all. Some things that would be good to have is a Machinist handbook, an old one from a used book store is good. Search this forum for heat treating, Shumway books for furniture and such, I think the title is building the PA longrifle. Search your local library card catalog for flintlock books.
Bill

Latest posts

Back