• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Started with three new knives

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Titus

45 Cal.
Reaction score
This is how far I am after 6 hours of extreme hard work last night from 18:00 till 0:00. Still using my beloved 4mm 12C27. This is quite a big knife, but very functional. :wink: Comments?

Photo-0017.jpg

I like the shape. just screaming at me to be a "using" knife, sort of like a "go to" blade for chores, skinning and camp cooking.

what are you going to put on for a handle?

brett, I was thinkin about something like Olienhout tr: African Wild Olive. Awesome wood. Maybe some giraffe bone... not really sure are this point in time. :hmm:

hopefully i can get it ready tonight for hardening Thursday night. Still got a lot of drilling to get done before then. Ye aint gonna dril that steel when its hardend. :nono: :shake: :wink:

PitchyPine said:
:bow: how do ya get such an even grind on the blade? Very nice. :thumbsup:

Pitchy, I draw the grind line and then take it very slowly.... :v

Deceptively simple looking I think (but really complex)! Well done! :thumbsup:

Davy

Pitchy, dont feel alone. I am still a novice there myself. I did the hollow grinding, but the end result wasnt my handiwork. My mentor finished it up for me. :blah: :rotf:

Hollow grinding is the most difficult part of knifemaking IMHO. One of these will have its tang tapered tonight as well as some intricate spine work. Thats the one O am keeping for myself. :wink:

Davy, actually you are right, its is simple. :grin:

OK, this is where I am at at the moment. Did all the drilling today, did some hand filing wokr on the spine of one and also tapered the tang of that one. They are hardened and now they are ready to be tempered. Another 6 hours of work. Also gave life to an offcut piece of steel and turned it into a fillet/trout type knife. :grin:

Picture001-8.jpg

Picture004-5.jpg

Picture007-3.jpg

Picture002-2.jpg

Picture005-3.jpg

Picture003-3.jpg

Picture006-2.jpg

Latest posts

Back