• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

blade etching

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

windwalker_au

50 Cal.
Reaction score
i was shown a new way to etch a blade it is done with a potato, clean the blade from any dirt and oil and just stick the blade in the potato till it is coverd leave for two weeks in the fridge this blade was left for four days and the results are very good .
bernie :thumbsup:
000_0001_01.jpg

000_0002-1.jpg

000_0002_00.jpg

000_0003-1.jpg

Hi Bernie.
Excellent idea.
That looks real good.
Think Ill give it a try.
Thanks for the info. :thumbsup:

man that is cool looking i like it looks like it had a serious chemicale process wonder how that would work on a gun bbl :confused: :confused: :hmm:

tom mabe peel the spud like an apple and wrap it round the barrel. i found out that you dont need to put in fridge works quicker if just left at normal temp.

If ya would of stuck a wire in each end with a small light bulb in between you would of had a knife light :haha:
Very cool idea, looks neat. :thumbsup:

Hey I like how that turned out. :thumbsup:
I knew about that too and had forgot what the natural acid in the potato would do. I think certain fruits like an apple would do the same. Problem is if the blade is exposed to even a little air while the process is going on, it will rust, I think!
I know I messed up a cheap pocket knife when I was a kid by peeling an apple and forgetting to clean the juice off, :youcrazy: blade rusted shut.
Thanks for the idea, I have been looking for a way to etch blades. I really like the color varations you got there.

Looks almost like case hardening.
One way I've tried is lemon juice,works out good.Soak a paper towel ,tissue gives a finer finish,wrap around the blade and scrunch it up,I just kinda push it up to the hilt a bit atta time til I git some kinda pattern goin on(to make it look similar to Damascus,then put her away and let it dry out.
When its dry I just use a bit of bakin soda to neutralize the acid ,and looks good,it does wear off over time ,just reapply ,and the design gits deeper,seems to keep rust away too.

That looks great, I wonder if you could use mashed potatoes and pack it around locks and hammers to give it a case hardened look?

just cut a potato in half and push the lock plate and hamer nearly all the way in one half and push it together with the outher outher half it will proberbley work thanks for the replys guys

Titus, how do think a Harry Wolhuter knife will look with that edging? Or one of those Titus hunters. :confused:
I think a Junior Wolhuter style with the edging might make a beautiful patch knife. What do you think?
You should ask Stollie to make one and post a pic for us :thumbsup:

Christiaan i have an outher on the go it is a frosts laminated solingen blade hope it turns out as well as the green river blade i will post pics when it is done.

Latest posts

Back