• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

New Southpaw from MA

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CanDo

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Hey guys,
Just thought I'd introduce myself. I'm a history guy - part of the local historical and archaeological societies and whatnot. I've built long bows, atlatls, rope darts, slings, and throwing knives, but never a gun!

I'd love to get into this, but have a problem - I'm lefthanded; it will be interesting to see how much harder it is to find the right parts. I'm thinking of starting with a .45-.50 flintlock pistol; anything inherently wrong with that plan? Plenty of questions will come on that soon after I do more research.

Right now, my concern is the legality of flintlocks/powder in Taxachusetts *ahem* Massachusetts. People have been telling me different things, and the laws seem to conflict. Does anyone know the straight story on what I'd have to do to have flintlock parts and black powder shipped here?

Thanks,

CanDo

Welcome to the Forum! :)

In my opinion, if you want to build a pistol it won't make any difference whether the lock is on the left or right side when you shoot it left handed.

Most of the flintlock and percussion single shot pistols were originally "right handed" with the lockplate on the right side.

If you want to build a rifle, then the "hand" becomes somewhat important. Especially if we are talking flintlocks.
All is not lost though. There are several locks made for the left side of the stock and if we are speaking of one of the more advanced types of "kits" from the small suppliers some of them will supply left hand stocks.

As for importing flintlocks, gun barrels, stocks, and all of the rest of the things that go into making a muzzleloading gun there is no Federal law against it. I rather doubt that you have a State law or even a City law against it either.

Now, for actually putting these pieces together into a operating pistol or rifle and taking it out and shooting it I'm sure some of our Mass. members will chime in.
If your still in doubt, contact your local Police Department or your local District Attorney.

Pilgrim:

Hey: where in Massachusetts? I shoot at the Ipswich Rod and Gun.

As for powder, you need a Firearms Identification Card for black powder (if you buy in MA) - for the trouble a FID just go see your local police chief and get a licence. As for supplies - Track of the Wolf will deliver most anything (not on backorder) as will a bunch of other sites (Muzzleloader Builders Supply, etc.). As for the consumables - how close to the Kittery Tradeing Post in ME are you? 30 min. drive for me - just need proof of age and you can pick up most anything - they have a powder house and a big gun supply store. MA does have a rule on the amount of powder you can store at home - 5 lbs. I think, but don't quote me on that.

Mike F

You have an interesting question.
Being left handed and blind in the left eye I have to shoot righthanded.
However I find I can shoot a pistol equally well with either hand.
I have considered building a pistol with a lock on the left side so it could be cocked with the lefthand since it would be free when shooting righthanded. So I think you could build whatever seems most comfortable to you. Another option?
In either case, though choices are limited lefthand locks are available.

Try a right handed flintlock rifle first. I shoot left handed and I shoot nothing but right handed flinters with NO problem. Hardly see the flash and the vent throws gases to the side. My Bess has a vent shield, required for reenactments, and I still have no problem.
Added advantage--I wear my bag and horn on my left, any ignition gases are directed away from my horn.

I am Left Handed, and started with a RH percussion gun. I now have LH guns. Build what you want. The lock makers provide a lot of choices of locks.

I was at one time thinking of building a LH pistol using a RH lock, with the lock facing backwards, and the barrel extending back over my wrist. This would allow a longer barrel to be used, but keep the balance over the hand. I saw something like this being used at Friendship. Now, this is a " modern " design pistol, but it was a pistol. The real problem is fitting that lock and its internal parts UNDER the barrel. With a good lock and the right sized barrel its doable. The longer barrel allows a longer sight radius between front and rear sights, permitting a more accurate hold, in theory. In, .36, 40, and .45 caliber, these makes a sweet shooting pistol. YOu do have to make provisions for an extended sear or " trigger " bar to fire the gun, but that has been done, too.

As to Massachusetts law, I believe the state treats ML pistols just as you would a modern pistol, with a need to have our Firearms owner Identification Card in possession when you are using the gun. Its a " handgun", don't you know! Never mind that you have to search far and wide to find a BP pistol being used to commit a crime anywhere in the USA. You are many times more likely to be killed by someone stomping your to death than shooting you with a BP pistol. Talk to a local attorney about any other laws that apply.

I'm a lefty and have no problem shooting righty percussion arms, but one incident broke me from ever again shooting a righty flinter. No doubt a flint problem, but when I shot a friend's a big flake of flint flew off and imbedded deeply between the eyebrow and lid of my right eye.

Here's my approach for a lefty flinter "kit." I'm buying a Lyman factory-built lefty, and I'll reshape and refinish the stock, then strip and brown the metal. Not much different than doing an actual Lyman kit, and based on the Lyman kit I built last spring, there's excess wood even on their finished rifles.

That's not a solution if you don't want a Hawken-style gun, but it's the cheapest way I know to get into a lefty flinter kit.

Paul are you describing something like HootAl's freestyle pistol(See Link)?
I do like this one.[url] http://www.midiowa.com/hootalrifleshop/Photos.htm[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
Deer Creek has some left-handed rifles and kits available, and it's hard to beat their prices. They are a phone/mail-order place without a website, so you'll need to do your homework on purchasing via those means from Massachusetts. Deer Creek's phone number is (765) 525-6181. Call them up--it may take a dozen phone calls, because they're open only weekdays and it's now heavy hunting season, so they're incredibly busy--but ask them to send you a catalogue, because if you're getting into muzzleloading, you'll probably be buying from them a lot. Some of the best prices on the internet. Also try Googling "Warner Guns"--I think I recall seeing some good deals on left-handed Traditions Deerhunters there.

Not really. The guns I have seen and would like to have have a very short tang, and the barrel extended back over the hand to the wrist. That puts the lock over the hand, and the trigger forward enough that you need a trigger or sear bar extension rod to actually fire the lock. The right hand lock is put on the LH side of the stock, under the barrel. The handle is like a saw handle, or more appropriately like the handle on the Remington XP-100 model single shot pistol brought out in 1962. Typically, the angle on the handle is that of a .45 Colt Auto Pistol. Its a totally modern design, except for the action. I have seen these in both percussion and Flint, and the Flintlock intrigued me, because the frizzen would serve as a physical block to seeing most of the flash from the priming powder being ignited. I also liked the idea of the balance of these pistols being so nice, while the gun has some heft, and a 10-12 inch barrel to better burn the powder charge. These are target shooting guns. They have no provision for carrying a ramrod under the barrel. I have seen tapered barrels used, but most of them are straight octagon. I did see one that was half octagon, half round. I have seen globe or hooded sights used on many of these, but the most popular front sight seems to be a ramped blade, with the rear undercut to deflect glare. Rear sights are typically open notch.

Welcome CanDo!

Yes, believe it or not, you won't find blackpowder anywhere for sale here in Mass (at least in the Eastern part that is ...).

I'm up on the North Shore and have to drive to KTP in Kittery, Maine to get real BP. But luckily, I belong to a large Fish & Game Club in Middleton (2000+ members) so a few times a year, guys go up and we'll distribute 25 pounds or so of BP.

If you're close to the SOuth Shore, you should check out the Hanson Club that Master Blaster (who posts here) belongs to. They are a very active BP Club and they just won the New England BP medal as a Team.

Regarding kits, I'm still a newbie, but ... I am making a left-handed French fusil de chasse akin to the 1721 contract from the Tulle factory. Note that I also shoot a right-handed flintlock with zero problems. If nearby to the 'Nor' Shoa', you're most welcome to stop by and try her out.

CanDo:
I don't know if you are aware of it, but as you mentioned Flintlocks I should mention that they cannot use Pyrodex, 777 or any other Synthetic Black powder for priming. It also will not ignite reliably in a Flintlock.

To shoot a Flintlock real black powder is required both in the pan and in the barrel.

A few people have found that they can use the synthetic powders for the main charge but only after putting 5-10 grains of real black powder down the barrel first as a prime for the new powders.
zonie

I'm a left-handed shooter myself. Good luck, cando, on finding LH kits. They are out there. You just may have to look a little harder to find them. You can shoot right-handed guns til you find what you like, but save you're money for a lefty, for sure!!!
Mowrey, the next gun i want to build is a fusil de chase. I'd love to get more details, please pt with details.

Thank you very much for the incredible welcome everyone!

There's a lot of excellent information here, and you've helped answer my questions. Tomorrow, I'll actually have time to sift through it and give a more appropriate response. It's really cool to see that I can find so much support for this venture.

Thanks,
CanDo

I finally have some time to do some research.

Looks like I will indeed start with a RH pistol, unless I stumble upon a better LH deal.

Mike F. and Mowrey,
I'm in the North East (still leary of giving out personal information online), and can get to TKTP fairly easily. I just called them and am glad to report that the only requirement for black powder is to be over 21. That's one problem solved :)

Comus,
Thanks for the companies' info, I'll be sure to check them out.

Zonie,
Thanks for the heads up, I'll be crossing everything with you guys or another professional before purchasing in the beginning.

I am sad to report that I've never done any real handgun shooting. What is the recoil like on a .40-.50 cal flintlock? In my mind I'm having a hard time visualizing whether it's unnoticeable or whether it will try to break my wrist.

Thanks,
CanDo

It won't be unnoticed and it won't try to break your wrist.

The actual recoil will depend on the weight of the projectile and the amount of powder you load under it.

In trying to come up with something you might be able to relate to the best I can do is to suggest that a moderately loaded .50 caliber pistol, shooting a patched roundball is like catching a baseball with a glove when the ball is thrown at a moderate speed. No where near what a ball thrown to first base from the shortstop would be. More like when your playing catch at 40 feet with a friend.

Thanks for phrasing in a way easy for me understand; that assuages some concerns. I'm 'psyched' for this project, and am now entertaining ideas of starting with a cap instead of flintlock. Hopefully, I'll be able to get it started within a couple of weeks.

CanDo:

I shoot at a small club in Ipswich, I actually live north of there. Drop a line if you are local. Visitors are welcome at the club (as in no fee). See my profile for info.

Mike F

Back