• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

GPR rear sight

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wjgramann

32 Cal.
Reaction score
After settling on a 90 grain Goex FFg load under a .530 ball and pillow ticking patch, I decided to replace the not-so-tough-looking adjustable rear sight on my new GPR flinter with the fixed one. I carefully tapped out the adjustable sight, pulled the fixed one out of its plastic bag, and dropped it swiftly through its dovetail. It is improperly sized, and will require a shim or a replacement. My 54-year-old eyes do quite well with the adjustable sight, and I like the buckhorn style. I see that Lyman offers a tang sight, but it doesn't seem to go with a flintlock. Suggestions, please?

Bill

Call Lyman and tell them the problem with the sight. I had one that was the same way. They should send you a replacement rear sight. Not sure why they are letting them out with the sights that don't fit. I much prefer the primitive sight. The adjustable one had to much play in it.

I would do as Rebel suggested, those adjustable sights on the GPR will move on you in time.If you like a buckhorn you can find one to fit the dove tail, you can also buld up the dovetail with JB weld and file to fit the sight you have but it may show a bit.

You can peen the edges of the dovetail down so the fixed site fits tight. I've had to do it.

HD

I did mine as mentioned above and it took me about 5 minutes from start to finish. It isnt a matter of precise measurements, you just need the sight in there tight so it wont move on you. If you've never done this before, it might be a little intimidating-- I know it was for me. But after you get through the first one, you'll wonder what you were so nervous about. Another option you have if you dont wanna mess with the dovetail itself, is you can peen the sight itself. That way, if you're worried about damaging the barrel, you have the option of worrying about damaging the sight instead. Either operation is very easy and straightforward, but if you are too worried about messing with the barrel, well, a sight is much cheaped to replace if for some reason you were to go way overboard. I'm not sure which way would be more PC, if that is a concern for you, but i have done both on various rifles i have and both ways have worked very well for me. :thumbsup:

My elevation screw on the adjustable Lyman sight was so very lose (I had it backed out the whole way) that I had to shim it and glue it into place. That extremely weak spring they supply is very apt to be crushed in handeling - and it has a tendancy to stay crushed and not "spring" back out.

wjgramann said:
How precise does this operation need to be?

Just take a small hammer and VERY LIGHTLY tap the top edges of the dovetail, a little at a time until the site goes in snug. As long as you go slow and light you can't hurt it. I peen the middle section of the dovetail so it holds the site if it needs to be drifted while zeroing the rifle.

If you do bugger it up too much you can file the dovetail to smooth it and you can always order a new site from Track or somewhere and fit it to the larger dovetail.

HD

I had the same problem with my .54 GPR flinter. I called Lyman and they sent me a new primitive rear sight. The exact same one, with the same problem. I set the sight upside down in a vice and peened the edge of the dove tail base with a hammer and punch. Fits nice and tight now. I think the primitive rear sight looks better on the GPR and it gives me a great sight picture.

Thanks to all. I like the idea of buggering up the sight rather than the barrel -- I'll peen the dovetail base until it fits snug. I think I hear deer whimpering!

I liked the adjustable sight but not the way it moved.Put alittle Loc-Tite on the threads,turned down against,and filed the front sight.It don't move now!

Latest posts

Back