• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cleaning Grease from Bore of New Gun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LFC

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I hear repeated recommendations that one use "brake cleaner" to clean the bore of the grease used by manufacturers in new guns (especially Lyman, though I imagine other makers use similar stuff).

I don't happen to have "brake cleaner" on hand. I'm sure I could get some, but if there's some acceptable substitute, I'm interested in avoiding having yet another can (jar, bottle, whatever) of funny and maybe dangerous chemicals around the house. (Part of it is that I've got several kids and a fairly-small house; the fewer dangerous chemicals I can keep on hand, the safer the kids are, and the more room I have to fill up with safe stuff like black powder, Pyrodex, acid-based wood staining chemicals, etc., etc.)

So: what's the magic ingredient of "brake cleaner"? And is there anything else that I'm likely to have that will work about as well for a first-time cleaning of a greasy new barrel?

Lacquer thinner, or any kind of alcohol, rubbing, Isopropyl, denatured, will work. Brake cleaner has some other compounds in it that just work very well. That is why it is recommended for this specific chore. If you have a good gun solvent, like Hoppes #9, the old standard, or Shooter's Choice, you can use them also to clean out the factory sealer.

I like to pour some down the barrel after plugging the touch hole, or flashchannel, then put my thumb over the muzzle and shake the stuff back and forth in the barrel like a cocktail mixer. That tends to get the solvent well distributed, so that when I run a cleaning patch down the barrel the coating is dissolved and immediately soaks into the patch for removal.

It takes several patches to remove all the solvent unless you first pour the remainder out the barrel. I like the idea of the solvent coming out with the crud on my patches. I can judge better how much gunk has come out, by the clarity of the solvent on my patch.

I also like to be able to scrub the bore a bit. If My first patch comes out really dirty, I will use a bore brush to scrub the bore, putting in more solvent or alcohol to aid the scrubbing work, and then take it out with cleaning patches.

I want to feel the condition of the bore through those patches,to know how smooth or rough the lands remain. It tells me much about the condition of the bore, and whether I am going to need to do some polishing after I get the factory sealant off the bore's surfaces.

All this is totally foreign to a new ML shooter, but in time, it all makes sense. I made my mistakes with my first gun. The next gun I did much better. The third was almost perfect, and now, I do much of this out of habit, considering several different things when I choose a particular procedure, or several steps to accomplish this cleaning. I didn't know how to tell some of these things when I began, nor understand their importance, then. But, then, this forum didn't exist, and good information was much harder to come by.

My best advice is never be in so much of a hurry that you can't stop and watch how some very good shooter-- the guy who is always winning matches-- cleans and shoots his guns. I learned much of what I know by watching the best shooters I could find at any match I attended. And, don't hesitate to ask them questions during breaks. Most are happy to explain why they do something, and what kind of product they are using.

I continue to watch, listen, and learn even today, and I started with BP back 45 years ago, and became an active shooter about 30 years ago. And I still ask questions. Sometimes I see good shooters doing things they don't even recognize they are doing, or don't think its important enough to mention.My personal experience now tells me that some shooters have no clue what they are doing right, some are very lucky, and some are just doing things because that is how their father, or grandfather showed them to do it. Some are doing almost everything wrong, and don't know why, and won't ask for help. Just because a guy is old doesn't mean he knows anything more than you do about shooting. But give that old guy a chance. He has probably made more mistakes than you will ever dream of making. At the least, he can save you from making many of the same ones, yourself.

One of the nice things about brake cleaner is it breaks down grease/oil molecules. When broken down, they are easily wiped off of the surfaces they were applied to.
Other chemicals that will do this are acetone, lacquer thinner, MTB and Carbon Tetrachloride. This last item (or something very similar) is sold as a "dry cleaning" spot remover.
All of these things are harmful to young kids and do present a hazard.

If I were truly concerned about having materials like these around the house I would look for the strongest detergent I could find to remove the grease/oil inside my new rifle.

One thing that comes to my mind is one of the cleansers made for cleaning bath tubs and sinks like Comet or Babo (do they still make that stuff? :grin:).
These are powerful detergents and they have the additional benefit of having very mild, soft abrasives in them. These abrasives by the way are too soft to harm your barrel but will help dull the sharp edges on the rifleing so that it does not cut the cloth patches used when shooting round balls.
Apply the powder to a water soaked cleaning patch and scrub your bore. You may have to do it several times to completely remove the rust preventatives applied by the factory.
Be sure to clean the bore using wet, then dry patches until you are sure all of the cleanser is removed from the bore and protect the (now) bare steel with a good rust preventative to protect it.
When your finished using the cleanser, you can make your wife happy by cleaning up the dirty bathroom sink. :grin: Don't clean the bathtub too or she will expect you to do it from now on. :rotf:

zonie :)

Zonie said:
When your finished using the cleanser, you can make your wife happy by cleaning up the dirty bathroom sink. :grin: Don't clean the bathtub too or she will expect you to do it from now on.:rotf:
zonie :)
Zonie,
You certainly understand wives! Do it once
and they do expect it all the time,especially
when it comes to that thing about putting the
seat down on the toilet. They would not be so
vocal about that subject if we were still using
the O/H. :rotf:
Comus,
Personally I use Hoppes#9plus. But to each
his own. I really could not bring myself to use
something labeled 'Brake Fluid' in the barrels of my guns. Hoppes' has a great reputation and I
trust them.:hmm:
snake-eyes

I have never used(brake cleaner) for cleaning a barrel, but it is great for yellowjackets. Had a nest in the wall of house and one can did them in.(2.00) It is a breathing hazard, be carefull. Dilly

"Brake parts Cleaner" is good stuff. Cuts the grease and dries "clean"!
But you have to watch out cause it will make all your babies be born "naked"! :wink:
And it is cheeper than "Wasp and Hornet" killer!

I tried lots of things on my first GPR and was never really happy with the results. Heard about the brake cleaner and tried it on my second GPR. I quit looking for alternatives after that, because it worked so well. Three patches wetted with the stuff cleaned the bore to silvery bright, something I never managed with any of the alternatives, no matter how many patches and strokes.

I don't know how to reply without picking someone, so Paul got hit but anyones answer is welcome :thumbsup:

Question is: Berryman B-12 Chemtool,is there a reason it shouldn't be used for cleaning the bore up?

Rusty

Simple Green is the stuff I use and it works out pretty good for me at least.

Added to that my wife saw how fast the stuff cut the grease under the hood over the stove she now uses it herself.

Does not smell to bad not to expensive and is available in all hardware stores I have ever been in.

Run some hot water down the barrel after to flush. Dry and add some all natural lube of your choice.

Nor Cal Mikie said:
"Brake parts Cleaner" is good stuff. Cuts the grease and dries "clean"!
But you have to watch out cause it will make all your babies be born "naked"! :wink:
And it is cheeper than "Wasp and Hornet" killer!

Guess that means the missus & I have to try for another baby or two, just to check. :hmm:

(This could get expensive, as each one needs his or her own gun. And possibles bag. And powderhorn(s). And bullet mold . . . . )

Any grease cutter that's water soluble will work...some better & faster than others due to their formulation or concentration. Even a good quality dish soap & hot water will cut the grease, you'll just have to work a lot harder than with the brake cleaner!

Dave

Back