• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Brass under hammer build

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have run into the same problem with the H&A hammer and trigger. You can cut part of the safety notch so it does not stick out so far and angle it so the trigger will not hook on it when firing. The notch is about twice what is needed. Make sure there is still enough left for the half cock.
I should have my parts back soon so I can get mine back together and test fire. Parts are getting blued at Doyles Gun Shop (208-686-1006) in Idaho. He does 40 to 60 guns a week and has a very fast turn around time and good prices for hot tank blue.
In my pile of stuff I found two .50 cal pistol barrels so someday may build a SXS underhammer pistol. Trying to come up with a design with 1 trigger like the fancy shotguns that will fire one barrel at a time.

that's pretty much what i thought would be the case, thanks for he confirmation! as for the double, i look forward to that with a great deal of anticipation! :hatsoff: :applause: :bow:

Got the parts back and had to put it together and try it out.
brassframeunderhammer.jpg

I need a good shooting bench. Found out how much flinch I have, use to them big bores. A 32 with 15 grains of powder is about like shooting a 22 RF.
Brassframetarget.jpg

Now that's what I am talking about! That's looking good now put the full length with the close ups. Build really is nice, you ought to be proud!

I'm gonna stick my head in here real quick and get ready to run before I'm tared and feathered. :surrender:

I'm just not into this type of gun but I can see the workmanship that went into it. :thumbsup: Very nice!

Hey John,that sure is a beauty. Just curious, will it have a serial number? If so, How do you determine it?
I cannot find a S/N on my H.A.

Muzzle loaders are not firearms so no number required and if I understand the laws there is no S/N required for home build firearms. If I were manufacturing fire arms for sale I would need another license besides an FFL and I would be required to number them and charge tax on them when sold. The BATF is mostly concerned about getting their tax money.

every one is entitled to their own feeble opinion. I only say that because I ran out of tar and feathers.

After writing here that I couldn’t find the serial number on my Numrich underhammer, I found it on the bottom of the barrel about 3 inches from the forearm. Didn’t see it before because of the ramrod and I didn’t expect it to be on the barrel. It is a 5 digit number starting with 30 which makes my wonder. If there were more than 30 thousand of these made, why aren’t they better known and more available? Maybe I just don’t understand the numbering system.

"The BATF is mostly concerned about getting their tax money." Do you think so???? :rotf: nice one John. Fred :hatsoff:

Swamp Rat said:
I'm gonna stick my head in here real quick and get ready to run before I'm tared and feathered. :surrender:

I'm just not into this type of gun but I can see the workmanship that went into it. :thumbsup: Very nice!

Viva Underhammers the traditional gun! :blah:

I got feathers from a turkey hunt if someone gots some tar. :grin:

Gosh John that sure came out sweet! I'm going to pick up a .36 cal barrel and have it sent to you. Just not sure when I will have the spare cash. It is hunting season soon so I'll be preoccupied.

I like that rear sight very much. I might have you alter one of my other UH's to accommodate such a sight.

Swamp Rat said:

:shocked2: Better be careful swampy, there are turkey-hunters around here. Once tared and feathered you could get confounded with such a tasty bird. :shocked2:

And I agree to you, this underhammer is a fine piece of work, no doubt. :thumbsup:

By the way, been just reading an article about the national german championships. Underhammers rule the competitions more and more over here.
Especially custom-pieces like the ones from this builder:
Hannes Krebs - Klick me
Fine guy - met him personally last year, but his prices are beyond good and evil for my purse. :(
However enjoy the pics. :)

romeoh said:
By the way, been just reading an article about the national german championships. Underhammers rule the competitions more and more over here.
Especially custom-pieces like the ones from this builder:
Hannes Krebs - Klick me
Fine guy - met him personally last year, but his prices are beyond good and evil for my purse. :(
However enjoy the pics. :)

:grin: :grin:

John. Do you have any info on that peep sight that's on your brass UH? Are they available or do you sell them? My gun has a screw in the same location. Thanks.......Harold

This is my own idea of a peep sight. I have seen pictures of some that look like it but never saw a devise for keeping it from turning. I could probably make one to fit your rifle.

We have a few builders of high end under hammers in this country,Look here. Roger likes the big bore high velocity idea for hunting. He does very nice work. We have been discussing the idea of making a limited run of nice high end rifles. These will be engraved models in large calibers.
Most of my work is involved with restoring or making barrels for old rifles ( mostly Winchesters), Finding time to make under hammers is some times hard to do. Trying to make an inexpensive under hammer without getting into casting parts is not going to happen. It cost as much or more for a barrel today as an H&A cost when they were on the market. If I were to keep track of the time involved with the little brass under hammer it would probably scare me. It seems like there is a lot of interest for the H&A but not enough to keep them in production.

Greetings Underhammer, I believe your gun is set up for one of these.

sight1-2-1.jpg

I borrowed this from Walruski. They are hard to come by. I've only seen it once in the last few years.

Hey John can you make one of these?

The 2 size eye piece would be a little hard but the rest would be easy. It would take a little time to make up the proper jigs for holding to machine it. How many do you want? can I barrow it to get the measurements?

Back