• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Real Ca. + patch size

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rogervan

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello,

I introduced myself at the Introductions page.

My question concerns a topic I never thought I'd get involved with. My custom-made 62 cal long-gun is actually 61 (measured by a machinists caliper) caliber, 1:66 twist. I can drop a 61 ca ball down the barrel, but it drops down only fairly freely until the sprue hangs up and stops it. Should I go ahead and use a .015 lubed patch and load it that way for the first shot? I would have to pound it in. I'm thinking of using 85 grains of FFG for the first shot.

Does anyone know of a machinist who can make a ball mold that is standard for my lands, which are 0.61? I forget how deep the grooves are, but they are slightly deeper than normal.

clffdvr

You won't need a custom mold, several makers produce .600" roundball molds. I don't know the diameter of the balls you have but if a bare ball falls down the bore you should have no trouble loading it with .015-.018" patches. Plenty of people shoot balls of full bore diameter or even a couple of thousandths over bore with such patching. You will need a ball starter and a sturdy ramrod, a 1/2" wooden dowel will be fine as a range rod. Eighty-five grains should be a good enough place to start.

Lee makes a .600 rd ball mould and they run around $15 or you can order a .595 mould from Jeff Tanner for around $35.

I found a source of ready-made swaged .61 balls (Rush Creek). I'll do what you suggest.(You're not kidding me are you?) First I'll load a .61 ball with a .15 lubed patch. It seems to me that the patch will distort the ball .03 as I jam it in. I'll use pure lead. I know I'll have to pound it in to start it. I'll make a .61-convex starter from a piece of dowel to start it. I don't want to distort the ball too much. I'll use 85 grains on that one, and increase the load until I feel safe shooting 130 grains. I'm hoping for accuracy at 200 yards. I'll do that with the gun benched. Then I'll try the .600 balls and compare the difference. I'll let you-all know.

Clffdvr

Let us know how that gun shoots with 130 grs. and about the 200 yds accuracy results.

Back