• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Kodiak in .58

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heinrich

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have added a Kodiak by Pedersoli to my little collection in .58 caliber with 1:48 rate of twist.

Any advice with regards to the shooting of this gun? Any specific lubes, and or conicals that works well?

I have had a Kodiak 58 for many years.
Mine won't shoot the minie or hollow based bullet worth a darn.
However, 80 grs. 2f in the left barrel, and 90 grs 2f in the right has point of impact at 75 yds.
This load has taken 1200 lb moose with ease.
I suppose if I worked at it, I could get it to shoot the Minie type better, but the round ball did just fine for me.
Best Regards
Fred Ford

try the lee real bullet i have shot one with the lee real bullet, the load was 120 grn of 2f very accurate and will bring down anything.that load hit to the same poin of aim.
bernie :thumbsup:

The best load I found for my Kodiak .58 was .570 ball, wonder-lubed pillow ticking, and 100 grains 2f Goex. The Black Widow conical also worked well. Was using Triple 7 with the conical but Goex would probably be just as accurate.

Thanks guys, that is solid advice.

I got mine together with the REAL by LEE, in 430gr. Cast me about 160 of these, and will go and test them this weekend with FFg.

Any further advice will be greatly appreciated.

Here are some pics.

P1010364.jpg

P1010355.jpg

P1010359.jpg

P1010356.jpg

P1010365.jpg

I want to try a few other bullets out my Kodiak.

I think I want the 575-213 standard by Lyman, IF at all available the 577-30.
[url] http://www.castpics.net/RandD/Lyman_moulds/lyman30.htm[/url]
[url] http://www.castpics.net/RandD/Lyman_moulds/lyman29.htm[/url]

577-30 is an older mold by Lyman and is known as the Enfield Minie.

Last edited by a moderator:
When Mike Powasnik of Trail Guns Armory first started importing the Kodiak many years ago, he took a double .58 to Africa. he was shooting the big 600 grain stake-cutter Minie balls with something like 125 grains of powder...can't be sure of the amount of powder at this date. He tried of a Cape Buffalo and put two into his chest area and the old Buff just went trotting off and over a ridge. Mike said he reloaded and started out to follow him up. For some reason Mike didn't go over the ridge where the Buff did but angled off 50 yards of so. When he looked over the ridge, the Buff was slowly scratching the ground and watching his back-trail! That old fellow was just waiting to do the Mexican Hatdance on Mike! Two more shots finally put him down. Just goes to show you that if you go after something that can claw, bite or stomp back...be careful!! :shocked2:

Thanks, I keep that very well in mind with more than just Cape Buffalo.

I have seen more than one of them hunted with pretty sizable calibers in the past. Most of the time it is amazing the amount of punishment that they can take before they go down. I have on DVD footage of an American Hunter using a .577 Tyrannosaur on Cape Buffalo, apart from the man being a pretty bad shot, the buffalo takes 21 shots before going down... :cursing:

And recently witnessed a hunt were a huge old bull went down to a single shot from a .50 caliber Lyman Great Plains Hunter at 21yards within approx 60 seconds, no need for any further shooting.

Great pics, that look down the business end, well let's say I'd much rather see it in the pic than in person!!
Look's like make a good home defense weapon also! :wink:

I have thought that it should be good for clearing the hallway of unwanted visitors.. :wink:

I shot it extensively on Saturday, shot about 40 shots, with 440gr REAL's by LEE, and about 60 RB's patched with pillow ticking. Do not want to tell how much powder. Anyway the result is amazing, we managed to shoot 2 shots in rapid succession within less than 6 inches for the whole day. All shooting was also done offhand, and at 50m. With all my shooting, I only managed to miss one shot at the plate we were shooting at. All shooting was done using the front sight of the 2. I am considering to use the rear one to sight the gun in for 100m.

That is a mighty handsome rifle gun, wish they were legal for hunting here in Colorado. What does your .58 weigh?
If both barrels shoot together with your selected load you won't need a sight for 100m, the drop between 50 and 100 is not so great. If you sight it two to three inches high at 50m you will be within a couple of inches high or low at 100m.

Hi
I just read your post. I have hunted whitetail deer with one of these for many years. I hunt in Michigan in thick cover and 70 yards is a long shot. I shoot .570 RB, lubed pillowticking patch, and 100 grains of FF. This gun is very satifactory for me and I am sure that you will enjoy yours.

Back