• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Matchlock in the works

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You picked one of the hardest woods to work with. Last time I made a stock from Myrtle wood I used a router and then a grinder to get it in shape. Very hard to carve with the grain running every which way. Very nice looking when done. Only place I know to get it is in Oregon but it i mentioned in the Bible.

He`ll have to name it Moses fire stick. :haha:
Sounds like hard work Bubba but you`ll get it. :thumbsup:

Did a little more fiddlin with the lock.
Pan still needs bored for prime,cover and fence added.
I'll shorten sear bar later.
I'm not happy with the spring,think I'll try a bobby pin type for the return .

mymtchlkbrl007.jpg
[/img]

mymtchlkbrl008.jpg
[/img]

mymtchlkbrl006-1.jpg
[/img]

wow thats quite the effect from the drill, looks cool, really emphisizes the dragon or beast cut out on the serpentine. i also like the smoothed out pan and lock plate. :hatsoff: :hatsoff: :thumbsup:

Ohhhh, its going slow.I got the underlugs made and sweated on.Touch hole is pilot drilled . I'll be after it again this weekend bud:thumbsup: Wont be long now :)

I'm gonna try a different approach of stock whittlin this time too. After bandsawing the bulk away ,I bought a 4-1/2" angle grinder and flapper wheels to take the place of my hungry beaver rasp :wink: Then follow up with the palm sander

Made a little more progress....7 1/2 hrs later I got the ramrod groove cut in ,hole drilled( it even ended up where it[url] belonged...inside[/url] the stock :grin: ),barrel lugs inletted,lock plate inletted and a little more wood slabbed off.

It might even start looking like a gun tomorrow :wink:

mymtchlkbrl.jpg
[/img]

Wheweee it's tired out :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking good :bow: that`s going to be a nice looking piece of wood. :thumbsup: Yould be shooting in no time. :bow:

Hey now that`s looking great :bow: the side grinder must of worked good.
Man that`s going to look fine. :thumbsup:

Thanks Pitchy, that little 4-1/2" angle grinder with 40 grit flapper wheel is a hungry little devil! Man what a timesaver ,I'd still be going at it with that beavertooth rasp.Next time I'll use it outside though :rotf:

They do make the dust fly, and ya can burn the wood pretty easy if ya get aggressive but do take the wood off.
Areally good belt sander would be handy too.
I can`t wait to see your gun when it`s finished wish i could work with wood so well. :thumbsup:

I got a little more done on the MiniMatchlock :grin:

Now to get the pipes and buttplate done after the pan cover is on.

mymtchlkbrl011.jpg
[/img]

I'm going to use aquafortis to make all the crazy grain show :grin: Thought I'd try tung oil on it after some thinned boiled linseed is put on.

Back