• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.40cal Flintlock Squirrel Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
North Carolina allows use of Muzzlers during regular gun season, I have filled my doe tag using a couple times.

roundball,
Sounds like you got a tack driver for
sure.Congrats!
snake-eyes:thumbsup:

I made the switch to 100% muzzleloaders in the year 1999 I think...they're the only things I hunt with no matter what...haven't hunted with a centerfire this century

(that could change this year...starting to think about dragging out a big S&W .45 Colt Ctg. revolver for a couple trips just for something different...last deer I killed with it was in the early 90's...need to either use it or get rid of it)

roundball said:
I don't know how it could be much more accurate...sitting in a chair picking off empty .12ga hulls at 30 and 40 yards...a squirrel rifle to die for.

Well...... you ARE laying the down so you are just shooting at the primer end, and then of course checking to see if you did hit them dead center.......... aren't you ?

:rotf: :rotf:

Birddog6 said:
roundball said:
I don't know how it could be much more accurate...sitting in a chair picking off empty .12ga hulls at 30 and 40 yards...a squirrel rifle to die for.

Well...... you ARE laying the down so you are just shooting at the primer end, and then of course checking to see if you did hit them dead center.......... aren't you ?

:rotf: :rotf:
Heck no, that's child's play !
:shocked2:
I lay'em down with the open hull mouth towards me, and the trick is to slip the ball in just under the top edge of the hull mouth so it'll hit the top part of the base and make the hull flip up / stand up...this usually works best when the patch weave is aligned with the underrib instead of the front sight.
:thumbsup:

OK, let me be sure I have this right..... Let me pull this other hip boot on first .......... :shocked2:

The shotshell has the open end toward ya & laying down on it's side......

You load the patch with the weave of the pillow ticking parallel with the rib on the barrel, cause ya....... :hmm: well just cause I guess, I can't figure that one out...... :hmm: OH, I know !! cause it sounds portant, that's why....... :grin:

Now, do you load the patch with the stripes on the Inside or on the Outside of the ball?

And now ya got me into a real deep thought (an this don't happem too often)

What color striping are you using ? Red striped for the red hulls & blue striped for the blue hulls ? :hmm:

Hmmmmmmmm........ I guess ya can't shoot the green hulls cause I never saw any green striped pillow ticking ...... right ?

Dang this isa gettin more teknicural that I can even spell !! :rotf: :rotf:

Birddog6 said:
**SNIP**

OK, let me be sure I have this right..... Let me pull this other hip boot on first .......... :shocked2:
**SNIP**

Hip boot??? You better be putting on Chest Waders. This sh** is getting deep in here :shocked2: :shocked2: :shocked2: :rotf:

Twisted_1in66 :hatsoff:

just make sure the ball doesn't tumble...check target for round holes...if round then you'r OK

Shoot Roundball, that's child's play...try popping them in the air with the .40, then picking up the .54 and shooting them out of the air, put a 5 gallon bucket about 32 steps down range and drop them in there, makes clean up easier... :grin:

Of course he's using the RED pillow ticking...With the BLUE, you never know which way they (Demo-rats) will go...

You left out that the rifle must be pointed from west to east before noon and then east to west in the afternoon. All shots after dusk must be taken from a bottle marked Jack Daniels. :haha:

OK...I'm busted...I knew I couldn't put one over on a good ole Alabama boy...I admit it...I don't have no stinking green stripe pillow ticking for the green hulls
:redface:

I just flip them up on end with plain old cotton patches
:grin:

Back