• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Brass under hammer build

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Taylor

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Have been thinking about this for a while. Had some 1" diameter pump shaft and thought it would make a nice little under hammer. Started by truing up both ends and reaming one end to 1/2" and threading the other end for 1/2". I put a bolt in the one end and a short piece of round stock in the other end so it would not squish when I was bending it. Then cut the groove for the hammer and trigger and drilled the holes for the screws. I'm using a hammer and trigger for an H&A just to save time.
brassUH.jpg

Found a nice little 32 caliber barrel that I had order in many years ago and never used. It is 7/8" across the flats and 30" long. I think the original plan was to make boot target pistols from it but never got around to that. Here it is in the lathe being dialed in for boring and cutting the threads for the breach plug.
brassUHbarrel.jpg

Here it is being bored for the breach. This gives a smooth shoulder for the breach plug to seal against.
brassUHbarrel1.jpg

And the threading.
brassUHbarrelthread.jpg

Ready for the breach plug.
brassUHbarrelthread1.jpg

What!!!! you didn`t hacksaw those screw slots in :shocked2: :haha:
Lookin good. :thumbsup:

I love this stuff .. watching you guys build this by hand from scratch! :shocked2:

BTW whats gonna hold the barrel into the reciever? A screw, threaded block, or a locking bolt? :hmm:

Thanx! :hatsoff:

Davy

I'm thinking taper pin to hold the barrel. I went with a 1/2" diameter breach plug to keep some wall thickness to the brass frame. I don't like the idea of using the set screws for the brass frame. Next will be the spring. I will probably use a coil spring for the trigger with a stop stud so there won't be any travel after the hammer drops.

PitchyPine said:
What!!!! you didn`t hacksaw those screw slots in :shocked2: :haha:
Lookin good. :thumbsup:

Wasn`t making fun off your work, just kidding ya because that`s the way i cut in the slots. :redface: :)

Sometimes I use a hack saw also but I wanted a wider slot so....
biggest problem so far is finding time to work on it and still keep the other work going so I can pay my bills.

It just kills me .. you guys make it look too easy! :cursing:

Davy

I know where to find a lathe .. I just cannot get John Hinnant's clammy hands off of it, so I can move it out of his garage! :shocked2: :rotf:

Then all I would need is about 20-60 years of practice on it! :grin:

Davy

It's looking good John. Is that one for me? I also have the butt stock. I think I have a front stock too but I'll have to check. Both are in walnut. :thumbsup:

Edit: Hey John I found the stocks. The front end has a hairline crack running length wise along to bottom. I believe I did my best in strengthening it with wood glue. It has a rubber butt plate. I'm thinking you might be able to curve the back and put a brass plate as a replacement. You want me to mail it or bring it down the next time I visit.

Also in order for it to fit, you'll have to inlet the back of your action like H&A did.

The action is smaller than an H&A so I think I may have to make a stock for it. Was thinking of making the stock bolt longer to give some more strength to it. I have some light colored wood from gun parts with a piece for the for end. The back of the action is inletted like the H&A but smaller
I made a spring for it today but am not happy with it so will go back to the drawing board and come up with something different. Thinking I may make a different hammer and trigger. The H&A type has to much pressure on sear when it is in full cock making it hard to get a real good trigger pull.

John,

You do very nice work, and I enjoy watching your builds!

No-BS

Latest posts

Back