• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Scratch build matchlock pics

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sweet! You inspire a fella! Gonna hunt with her? I hear matchlocks are good for subduing continents full of Indians too!

Mommicked said:
Sweet! You inspire a fella! Gonna hunt with her? I hear matchlocks are good for subduing continents full of Indians too!

Thanks, yep i plan on taking it deer hunting, should be interesting. :)

Mark Lewis said:
Looks great! Can you tell us more about it?

There`s a build thread in the gun builders forum here that tells more about it. Other than that i don`t know what else to add. I haven`t shot it much but plan too this next week. Thanks :)

:bow: Hey Pitchy, way to go my man. You done real good, I am proud of your skills and ingenuity. You could build be my next Matchlock anytime you want to get started. Ya did a great job and you are to be commended on the outcome---I am definitely jealous of that fine piece. "Six months ago I couldn't spell Matchlock and now I builded me one" :thumbsup:

Pasquenel said:
:bow: Hey Pitchy, way to go my man. You done real good, I am proud of your skills and ingenuity. You could build be my next Matchlock anytime you want to get started. Ya did a great job and you are to be commended on the outcome---I am definitely jealous of that fine piece. "Six months ago I couldn't spell Matchlock and now I builded me one" :thumbsup:

Well thank you sir :hatsoff: I guess we never know if we can do something till we try.
I haven`t had much opportunity to shoot my matchlock yet but the three shots i took really amazed me. It`s my belief that if the proper match is used a matchlock is just as fast as a flintlock and just as reliable.
Next week sometime a friend and i are going to get together for some shooting, at that time we will see how good this rifle can shoot.
Stay tuned. :thumbsup:

Well gent i went out for a shoot this morn to get it sighted in but only got off two shots. Slowmatch just isn`t working good enough, the cloths line rope i used was really old and tight.
I`m headed out in search off some new rope and i`m going to lean out the mixture a little too. What i have now does a lot of sparking and just won`t keep a good coal. :(
Good news is it shot those two shots within a inch of each other. :)

Went to Mills FleetFarm and found this 100 per cotton clothline rope. Big and soft, better than charman :rotf: I have a piece soaking now, going to leave it in four hours then dry, thinned out the mixture a little also. Fingers crossed. :thumbsup:

clothlinerope.jpg

PitchyPine said:
Went to Mills FleetFarm and found this 100 per cotton clothline rope. Big and soft, better than charman :rotf: I have a piece soaking now, going to leave it in four hours then dry, thinned out the mixture a little also. Fingers crossed. :thumbsup:

clothlinerope.jpg

Pitchy, try this: Use a plastic, two liter soda bottle, fill it with water and add half to three quarters of a cup of Saltpeter.
What did you take for your slowmatch?
:hatsoff:

Not sure what you were asking, i paid 6.36 for 100 ft of the rope.
That`s the mixture i was using, i read on one of those web sites you gave me that a guy did some experimenting and found less saltpeter worked better. I had a bunch left so i added a little water to it, we`ll see how it works. :)

Pitchy, heres a quote from that site:

"My guess is that less nitrate results in a slower burn, with consequently longer rope life and possibly lower ember temperature, with possibly a higher misfire rate. "

He did say to lay the rope out so the nitrates wouldnt gravitate to the ends as opposed to being hung to dry.

Yepper i read that, i`m guessing my mixture is around half cup saltpeter to two quarts water now.
A pie tin seems to work good for drying if the suns out it gets real hot in it.
I`m hoping to give it a try by dark but don`t know if it`ll be dry enough. Don`t get dark till nine. :)

Soaked for 3 1/2 hrs then dried in the oven at 250 for half hour.
Didn`t get out to shoot to hot but lit off several pans in the house and worked good, one little blow on it and it glowed bright. If ya were shooting on a breezy day it would work good.

ropecoal.jpg

Back