• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

blocked ramrod hole...HELP!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twobirds

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I recently completed a Spanish escopeta from The Rifle Shoppe parts, including a pre-inlet stock. I found their metal parts to be of good quality, but was less than pleased with the inletting in several regards. :shake:

Well into the project I discovered that the ramrod hole was drilled at an angle that EXACTLY AND SQUARELY intersects with the location of the front lock bolt on the pre-inlet lock. :cursing: I went ahead and finished the gun, hoping that the ramrod length would be sufficient, but, alas I am disappointed. When tamping a roundball over powder, the ramrod does not extend past the muzzle, but is instead exactly flush with the muzzle. Obviously, this does not allow a safe loading procedure, as the palm must go over the muzzle to load. :shocked2:

Now, I've had lock bolts partially block the ramrod hole on other guns, and have tapered rods and notched lock bolts to accomodate. But the geometry of the situation just does not lend itself to such simple solutions.

Solutions that I am considering are:
1) plugging and redrilling the ramrod hole;
2) making a new and larger sideplate, installing a third lock bolt in an unconventional position, riveting the offending lockbolt head to the sideplate rendering it a fake;
3) carrying a separate (longer) loading rod...not really a satisfactory solution from my perspective; or
4)adding a threaded end to the ramrod, and carrying a "ramrod extension" threaded to mate with the ramrod end in my pouch.

Obviously, I would prefer to fix the problem by plugging and re-drilling the ramrod hole, but am having nightmares about all sorts of alignment and runout problems on this finished gun.

So, what would you do? Would wiser and perhaps more skilled contributors chime in with your suggestions and experiences?

Richard
(twobirds)

What I would do in this case would be to eliminate the through front lock bolt and install a metal clip into the lock "nose" inlet that would fit into an angled slot filed in the "nose" of the lockplate which would retain the front of the lock. From the sidepate side, use the existing lock bolt but thread up to the head, cut off the excess and use an embedded, epoxied, slotted nut to retain the "nose" of the[url] sideplate.In[/url] affect, the head of the bolt is a "fake" lock bolt. Thought of doing this on a Lehigh where there's no room between the RR hole and bottom of the bbl inlet......Fred

Last edited by a moderator:
Flehto's suggestion for a dummy front lock bolt is exactly what I would do. Most locks, even flintlocks, function just fine with only one lock bolt. I have a flintlock that was made in 1976 and has thousands of shots through it with no detriment and it only has the rear lock bolt. The front bolt is just a dummy installed for looks.

Randy Hedden

Ahhh. thanks for the suggestion. I knew there were brighter folks out there that had faced this before. Your suggestion may work for me...I'll have to examine the gun a bit closer tonight to tell for sure.

Other suggestions?

twobirds

plug and redrill. OR, cut down into the wood from the barrel channel and deepen the rod groove as necessary (some of the precarve people rout their r.r. holes this way). When the groove is cut so that the rod goes under the bolt, you can make a piece of wood to go back in place over top of the rod and glue it in with GOOD epoxy.

Thanks, Randy. A concern I have is that since this is a miguelet lock, the rear bolt is truly at the rear of the lock...not high and central like a conventional lock. So a single rear bolt alone may not be sufficient to hold the lock securely in the proper position. But the hook idea may work. Kinda tight quarters to inlet into, but it may work with careful planning. Thanks, guys.

twobirds

As stated, plugging and re-drilling is my preferred solution. But I don't know if I have the nerve to carry it out on this finished gun! I am concerned that the drill bit will try to follow the soft walnut of the stock, rather than the harder endgrain of a plug...though I have considered plugging with something soft like balsa.

Have you had any problems with the drill bit wanting to drift on such repairs?

twobirds

I have used this method of going in through the barrel channel a few times and it isnt even noticable if you inlet the plug carefully.

I am Spanish, please could you said to me the gun marks and caliber is possible that I have some parts

I would prefer to plug and redrill (now), but cutting down from the barrel channel is practically simpler and more foolproof.

Plug the hole with the same wood the stock is made of. If desired, you can drill a starter hole in the end of the plug before insertion a bit off center to help persuade the drill bit to go in the direction you want it to.

Now, cutting down from the barrel channel has less potential for disaster (if you're careful). If you have the slab of wood that came off the top of the stock when it was cut down to inlet the barrel, you can use the wood from this and the grain will be going the same direction and if it is fitted carefully, it will be almost invisible...not that it matters as it is completely inside the barrel channel.

Figure the desired depth for the bottom of the rod hole and using a depth gauge, drill/cut down to ALMOST this depth and use a small gouge to clean up the bottom. An "ingouge" is the best tool to use here. I believe Track of the Wolf (or somebody) sells a dog-leg ingouge that is perfect for doing this. BE CAREFUL and make sure you have about an eighth inch of wood left below the rod.

When your "hole" is where you want it, and the rod can just barely go under the front lock bolt, then you can make a piece of wood to glue back in on top of the rod to solidify the fore end again. Clean up the sides of your "routed" rod channel and get them pretty straight, and cut a piece of wood to fit down in place. Leave it oversize (vertically) so that you have a handle to put it in and pull it back out with. I even cut a groove on the bottom of the wood to sit on top of the rod. When satisfied with the fitting, take a steel/brass rod the right size and wax it up real good and insert it in the rod hole. Get a GOOD quality epoxy (Brownell's Acra glas is probably the best for this type of thing) and glue the block in place, clamping it down on top of the rod all the way up and down (not too terribly tightly). Let it set up to where the epoxy is "stiff", but not nearly all the way hardened. (the acra glas will begin to get stiff in just about 10 or 15 minutes, so you have to watch it.) When it is stiff, pull (hard) the rod out. If you let it get fully hard, the epoxy won't have any sprininess left in it, and it can be VERY hard to get the rod back out, no matter how well waxed the rod is. I put the loose end of the rod in the vise and pull the stock off the rod. Sometimes it takes some real doin' as there's a lot of friction on that rod.

If necessary, you can clean up/deepen the hole with the ram rod drill.

Hopefully that all made sense.

This is how I used to do all my guns before I FINALLY got the hang of drilling the rod holes (only after about 15 years of building guns...).

Trampero, the parts were from The Rifle Shoppe in Oklahoma. I BELIEVE the website is[url] www.therifleshoppe.com[/url]
They have a very good catalog that is nice just for reference. They have several Spanish gun parts sets. If you order anything from them, ask them if the parts are actually in stock, otherwise, you could be in for a pretty long wait!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you, Der Fett' Deutscher, for the very clear instructions. My concern was weakening the stock, as I have seen some pre-inlets that appeared seriously compromised. But your method of removing a plug and epoxying it back in should be quite strong. I used to use Brownell's microbed compound for repairs on modern guns before the discontinued it. :shake: Wish the stock had been done right to begin with...I guess I better avoid shortcuts and start with a blank next time!

Thanks agin for the help. :thumbsup:

twobirds

Trampero, Der Fett' Deutscher is correct. My escopeta parts were from The Rifle Shoppe. It took about 5 months to receive the parts after I ordered and paid for them...not particularly bad, since I have read of others who ordered parts and waited for YEARS! But, if you are patient, The Rifle Shoppe provides parts that are pretty much impossible to find elsewhere. Der Fett' Deutscher offered good advice to call them prior to ordering the parts to see if they are in stock. But even that is not foolproof.

Despite the stock inletting problems, I was otherwise pleased with the parts that they sold me. Good luck to you, should you choose to build an escopeta! They are cool guns!

twobirds
from the former province of New Spain, Texas.

Hi, I know it, ardesa/traditions are really bad on service. I have a lot of parts of weapons because i bought its in the Rastro (a great street market in Madrid) long time ago. If you need it email me.

:hatsoff:

Victor
P.D.:TwoBirds. Now Texas is more Spanish than Madrid

The last one I had way out of alignment like that I took a RR blank the same size as the RR hole & cut it off so it was just a tad longer than the length of the hole in the forestock. Then took it to the belt sander & ground a long taper from the entrypipe end toward the other end, starting with nothing thickness at the entrypipe end & going about 6-7" to no taper.

Drilled a hole into the RR hole ar the end of it, under where the triggerguard inlet so it would be hidden later.

Swabbed the RR hole with stainable wood glue & the flared RR piece I ground the bevel on & pushed it into the hole & the lil peep hole I had drilled under the triggerguard let out the excess glue.

Let it dry 24 hrs & then set up my RR drill in the barrel channel. Started drilling in the RR hole in the entry area & the taper on the cut RR guided the bit down towards where I needed it to be & I drilled a new RR hole.

I don't think it was all a new hole as I think part of it drilled into the RR piece I had installed, how much I don't know. I do know the RR piece was harder wood than the walnut stock, so I feel most of it went into the walnut. But I know is this worked & my bolt cleared the RR hole now & with this piece glued into it, it is as strong if not stronger than it was originally.

Also, it should be noted that I did this BEFORE I finished the rifle. Since you have already finished the rifle, I would not do this as you have too much to lose now. You should always check the RR hole length & dia & etc WITH a RR blank you are going to use & have all the RR pipes & entrypipe on the rifle, lock in place & lockbolts in, & insure it is all working OK & to the depth you need Before you go any further.

For what you have now I would do one of three things.

1: I would put a drill into the RR hole with the bolt in it & see just where for sure it hits. If it is hitting off center, most likely you can cut a halfmoon in the bolt & the RR will pass. Then you mark a lil nick in the bolt head to the down side & when you remove the lock, remove the RR, take the lock off. Upon installing the lock, line the notch on the bolt head at the bottom so it has the groove in the bolt shaft in the proper piosition.

2: Same as above but if it will not clear the bolt, taper the RR slowly on the last 8" of the RR so it will clear the bolt.

3: Leave it alone & when ya shoot add a 2" brass RR entension to the RR & forget about it. MBS & several others have them & they don't cost but a couple of bucks & the brass would not burn as you shoot, where a longer wooden rod would burn from the muzzleblast. Buy one, screw it on the RR, put the RR in the barrel & mark it about 1/4 - 1/2 longer than the bore depth & then cut it off, round off the edges. Retap the end of the brass for a rod puller if ya want.

Thanks, Birddog, for pitching in with your experiences. The tapered plug to serve as a drill guide is an interesting and innovative solution. Unfortunarely, I've already established that the ramrod hole is squarely blocked...no notched bolt or tapered ramrod for this one. I may try your redrilling method when I just can't tolerate the blocked hole problem any longer!

Well, another thought I had at the time was to make one out of steel rod, insert it & at the hole under the triggerguard have a screw into the rod to hold it in place, as when the drill hits that rod it may want to turn it, so somehow you have to hold it. This would make the guide reuseable. But I didn;t have a 3/8" steel rod avail at the time & did have the wood one.

I think if I was you I would live with the RR extension. :wink:

Latest posts

Back