• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

RS vs. P in rifles

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnM

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I am getting into serious hunting with my TC Hawken .45 percussion 1-48" rifle. I have used real black and Pyrodex RS. Black Powder is much harder to purchase for me than Pyrodex and I do get comparible shooting from the Pyrodex RS. I have had a couple of hang fires with the RS (#11 caps) and never with the blackpowder. I have been reading online that if one uses P instead of RS in a rifle, you will get better ignition and higher velocities from equal measures of powder. Can anyone steer me staight on this topic? Thanks

I switched to P and all my hangfires quit. I can't get real blackpowder localy so I just use P or RS but P works the best for me.

Hey there Huntnut, are you using #11 caps? Is there a pickup in velocity with the P that possibly one would want to use a lesser load than with the RS?

When i shot caplocks i used P in mine, no problems. I also use CCI Magnum caps, and a Hot Shot nipple, which helps igntion problems,.

I use P in my frontstuffers with no problem I use musket caps though in my rifles and #11 in the fowlers.

Huntnut,
I've got the same BP issue, I live near Cincinnati, OH and had to make sure I stopped at Cabelas in Wheeling, WV on my way home from NJ.
mrbortlein

Thanks guys. I think I am going to give the pyrodex P a good trial. Does anyone drill the bottom hole of their #11 nipples to be just a hair larger?

Doing so would reduce pressure in the breech and accuracy. They are that size for a reason. The wire of a small paper clip should pass through but not a large paper clip. Time to replace the nipple if the large fits.

Better to use real black powder if you are having ignition problems than trying larger holes or "magnum" primers.

P is easier to ignite and in some loadings, is the most accurate powder I have ever used. RS is just as usable, but you have to work a little harder for it to be 100 percent.

Back