• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

how do you carry your priming horn

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
redwing said:
It seems you know more than Madison Grant, or anyone else. Why do you waste time writing for free on this forum? Write books make bucks. :rotf:

When I did carry two horns I carried the small one under my right arm the big one under the other arm, I do find it easier now just to carry one horn, as for original priming horns how is it determined that the small horns left existing were always for priming? I think there was the usage of two horns in the past but do not know when used and how common.

I'm too lazy to mess with an extra horn. I find that priming from the main horn is a lot quicker. I prime with both 2F and 3F depending on the guns I shoot and I find that both work well.

Many Klatch

Yes Mike you were hanged in another life. In an another life I was the judge that sentenced you. Please don't ask for what crime, this is a family forum. :thumbsup:

Madison bought a lot of stuff that was spurious. It was very common in that era(and still is) to pass stuff off on unsuspecting buyers. I'm not the only one that believes this by the way.

I don't think it was Madison's intent to defraud anyone. He simply put the items in his books for all to see.

I post here to help those who are interested in the facts.

Mark Lewis said:
Madison bought a lot of stuff that was spurious. It was very common in that era(and still is) to pass stuff off on unsuspecting buyers. I'm not the only one that believes this by the way.

I don't think it was Madison's intent to defraud anyone. He simply put the items in his books for all to see.

I post here to help those who are interested in the facts.

Mark is right about Grant buying a number of fakes. I once met someone who personally knew a coupla people who sold a few, not so historically correct, items to Grant.

Grant is also known to have combined items in some of the photos in his books that were not acquired together. Like Mark, I don't believe Grant intended to defraud or mislead anyone. I believe he used the best knowledge he had,at that time, to depict those items as accurately as possible.

So, those "priming horns" may, or may not, have been collected with the pouches they are displayed with, probably not. Those small horns could have been day horns,or some of those small horns may not be powder horns at all. They may have been salt or spice horns. Who knows?

Today, we have a better understanding of those items illustrated in Grant's books through the research produced by people like Wallace Gusler, and many others who are dedicated to researching the artifacts of the 18th and 19th centuries.

I do use a coupla Grant's books for reference, with the understanding that Grant wasn't always accurate in his dating, or with his attrubutions.
J.D.

JD,

I like that post, all material should be taken "with a grain of salt". Just like I would not hang my hat on just one reference book or author for my documentation. :bow: :grin:

I know not everyone is interested in doing things period correct, but some of us are. Therefore, we/us/they should not be "bashed" for making historic references.

Before anyone starts in, I am not a "PC Nazi", I just try to be as correct as I can, one day I will get there, thru research, study and good old trail and error.

Remember this is a hobby and we should be having FUN. :v

Take care,

ThomasR.

ThomasR. said:
"...we/us/they should not be "bashed" for making historic references.

Before anyone starts in, I am not a "PC Nazi", I just try to be as correct as I can, one day I will get there, thru research, study and good old trail and error.

Remember this is a hobby and we should be having FUN

Exactly...and with all due respect, you seem to be missing that very point in this thread.

The poster simply asked where people carried their priming horns.

But the thread was immediately hijacked off onto a tangent about priming horns weren't really used, and PC this, and PC that, and they did this or they did that, etc.

The man WAS trying to have his fun...he simply asked where people carried their priming horns.

FYI...there is a whole section which deals with the historical, "PC" aspects of things in another part of this forum.

:v

"FYI...there is a whole section which deals with the historical, "PC" aspects of things in another part of this forum'

Good point Rounball, there is a "priming horn" topic started on the Historical correct Equipment forum to continue with the PC aspect of this topic, but it looks like folks would rather keep it here and argue with and torment one another.

Sorry I responded to the topic! Can you do it right, and have fun too? :surrender:

With all due respect, that is a joke with some people on this forum. :nono:

Someone offers an opinion and it is fine as long as YOU and a few others like it. I have seen post made by you and others "attacking" someone for not "fitting" your mould. :confused:

YOU and a FEW others hijacked this thread. My first and second post were to show that there are more than one way to do something. I guess on open format to discuss issues is not what this is. Should we check with YOU to make sure our post meet your criteria?

I have seen you "down play" what others say and do. If that person is new or has thin skin you could scare them off from wanting to try. Same as the PC Nazi's on the other forums.

However, I am through with the subject. :surrender: Wishing everyone good shooting.

Take care,

ThomasR.

This thread is typical of what too often happens in the discussions.

Someone asks how to do something and someone answers with what I call a "non-answer". That is, they have nothing to offer, but simply want to add their two cents by saying, "I don't have one", or "I've never done it", or "I don't believe in it", or any other bit of non-constructive information.

I didn't respond to the original question. Why? I don't carry a priming horn, so I had nothing to offer. It makes no sense to comment on a thing we don't own or participate in.

The second problem is that people can't seem to let a minor off-topic post go by without sniping at the poster - especially a member who they've had problems with before. Rather than ignoring the comment and letting it die, they just have to take a shot at the poster.

I'm running out of patience with the snide remarks about the members.

I offer this advice:

1. If you have nothing constructive to contribute to a discussion - don't post.

2. If you have a problem with a member, put them on your ignore list. Do not criticize them or try to modify their behavior in the public forums - that's my job and I do it privately.

Thanks for everyone's reply. I'm new here and learned a lot from this topic. Not just about about priming horns, but also the diversity of this wonderful world of muzzleloaders. I enjoyed it and feel richer and wiser than yesterday. :thumbsup:
I for one found the human element of the topic interesting.

At the range I carry it in my pocket. Hunting? I don't carry one. Reenacting? I don't carry one. When hunting and reenacting I have found that I don't need it. The less I have to keep track of the better.

I enjoyed this discussion, and if I offended anyone, I'm sorry. :v

4F powder can be helful if you put a ball down the barrel without powder under it. Of course I've never done that :grin:

david50 said:
how do you fellas that shoot flintlocks carry your priming horns,hanging from your neck or your bag or just loose in your bag????

I don't carry one either, using my main horn with 3f in it for main charge and prime. I have a small horn that I was going to use for priming, but it was just one extra thing to carry and once my small stash of 4f was gone, it wasn't worth it to me to buy more and carry that extra horn around.

If you're going to carry one, I'd suggest you make it small and carry it in your shooting bag. My guess would be that after you've used 3f for both prime and main charge out of your regular horn a few times, the priming horn will just stay tucked away.

Your results may vary....

Twisted_1in66 :hatsoff:

david50 said:
how do you fellas that shoot flintlocks carry your priming horns,hanging from your neck or your bag or just loose in your bag????
Tethered in a shirt pocket...
1734346PrimerHornandAntler800pixels.JPG

If I can provide any additional details on my previous response, please let me know

I have a small brass flask that I carry on a thong around my neck inside my shirt.When I'm shootin' my caplocks I carry my capper the same way, It's always handy and out of the way.

Back