• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Patch Lube

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WAR EAGLE

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have been reading forums for some time now and have really learned a lot. I do have a question, I am still trying to find a good lube. I have tried,bore butter,spit,crisco and quite a few others but cant see any real difference in any of them. I have noticed that clean up seems to be easier with crisco? I have only shot around 150 rounds so I think maybe just more shooting will help. Ill us any excuse to go shoot more.

Try Hoppe's Patch & Luve Solvent for Black Powder. Or Ballistol 5-to-1 to water, or even a 'moose milk' forumla.

I just saw a recipe on here for a moose milk formula with Hoppe's BP as the main ingrediant. I must try that, as Hoppe's BP has been the BEST so far for me.

Less in cccccccold & dry weather, then it is nothing but mink oil from TOW.

The oldtimers rated sperm oil number one, bear second. I have some bear in frezzer. I won second place in a big shoot one time using it in a 36 TC Seneca, this was first time I had shot it after making up the barrel.I have used a lot of groundhog and beeswax, now use deer tallow. But mostly hunt. If was going to a shoot, I would get out the bear grease.It is some slick stuff. Dilly

Just for the heck of it try Go-Jo white hand cleaner or similar brand, you may have some on hand anyway. Just damp with it works best for me, not sopping wet with the stuff. I tryed all sort of stuff before I tryed it, works for me. Your mileage may vary. Does a good quick field clean-up also.

My personal favorite is Beeswax and olive oil. Can be mixed in different ratios, so it can be thickened in summer or thinned in winter.

Good stuff, and also useful as leather dressing,hand cream and whatever ails ya!!! :grin: :haha:

Legion

Legion said:
My personal favorite is Beeswax and olive oil. Can be mixed in different ratios, so it can be thickened in summer or thinned in winter.

Good stuff, and also useful as leather dressing,hand cream and whatever ails ya!!! :grin: :haha:

Legion

...by far my favorite. easy to make up, good in all temps. fouling has yet to be an issue in any of my guns.

WAR EAGLE,
Moose snot! Easy to make up...Works great and very
easy on the wallet.PM me if you like and I'll send you some to try out.
snake-eyes

I havn't tryed "Moose Milk or Moose Snot" but up till now I like Balisiol 4 parts Water 1 part Balistiol. My 2 cents F.K.

I would like to try this balistrol stuff but not sure of the right mix? 5 parts water to 1 part ballistrol? 4 to 1? I see shooter at our cowboy matches using it in spray cans, but have never tried it myself.

I get mine from asupplier in Toronto. You have to experament with it and find what your riffle likes. Mine liked a little weter patch so I use 4 parts warter to 1 part balistiol. But some like 5/1.F.K.

Once, in a tight spot, I had to use my home made boot conditioner. ( 50/50 toilet wax and neatsfoot oil) It didn't clean up so well, smelled bad too. I don't know if it was to wax or the oil, but there was a hard crust in the bore after a few shots.

WAR EAGLE,
I use Ballistol, 4 to 1. Works great! Here is their link:[url] http://www.ballistol.com/index.htm[/url] . It sounds a little pricey, but when you consider a little goes a long ways. Here in California, I can shoot all day without swabbing between shots. Best stuf I've used :thumbsup: .

Last edited by a moderator:
chapter said:
Once, in a tight spot, I had to use my home made boot conditioner. ( 50/50 toilet wax and neatsfoot oil) It didn't clean up so well, smelled bad too. I don't know if it was to wax or the oil, but there was a hard crust in the bore after a few shots.

Toilet bowl wax is mostly synthetic, not beeswax.

you don't have the ratios of beeswax to olive oil do you....I have been playing with this but it always ends up to hard????

Last batch I cooked up was approx 80% oil and 20% wax by volume.

I put the ingredients in a small pan (read altoids tin), and melt slowly on stove or woodstove. Then once it's melted all trough it goes staight into the fridge for 30-60 minutes. It then is removed and allowed to return to room temp (24 hours). If it's too thin, add wax and remelt. If too hard add oil and remelt. then the fridge and the room.

This way you can keep using the same tin at 1/2 full, 1/4 full... whenever.

Works for me...

Legion

Back