• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

whats a good price for a CVA mountain rifle?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jac Spring

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Say, vg condition, 50 cal cap lock with a rb barrel?

What is the furniture supposed to look like? The one that I'm looking at has all blued steel fittings accept for the barrel key slots. And the rear sight is a "winchester" type adjustable buckhorn.

I've read really good things about these.

So, what's a fair price?

TIA

Good Question! I have one I'm gonna have to sell,has made in USA barrel on it.haven't a clue what to ask for it..what is a fair price? RC

I think price is like anything else, what you get for it and what someone will pay for it, I got a new one with USA barrel last year for 210 if that helps at all? Fred :hatsoff:

The last one I saw New, was going for $195.00 at the guns shows.

They don't hold their value very well..

Maybe they worth $100.00 used.

Is your's as I'm describing above?

I paid more than $210 to get a TC Renegade hunter (old model) shipped to me, so I'm sure the mountain rifle is more than that?

OSOK..not exactly, mine has browned barrel & lock,the 6 sided ramrod holders.pewter nose piece, must be the old '70's cva, is the one yer lookin at new? mine is used,but couldn't tell lookin down the bore..yers is a cva too?

My buddy just got one at a gun show for $125. It is one of the older ones with the octagon thimbles and made in USA barrel. The gun is a tack driver.

he stole that! they are awesome shooters... mine will stay here afore it goes that cheap! wouldn't sell if i wasn't havin a gun built! can't have enough ya know!

A Great PRICE IS LIKE THE ONE i SAW SELL AT AN ESTATE AUCTON FOR $80.00
Normal online auctions sell for around $150 althought I have seen them sell for $400.
It is all what the buyer will pay and what the seller will sell for.
I think a "reasonible " price should be $175- $190.
A mountain rifle was the FIRST muzzleloader I bought in the 70's ...$125.00...but it is all revelent ya know....gasoline was .48 cents a gallon then too!!!
I dont agree with the statement that they dont hold thier value very well..The Mountain rifle was one of the Best off the rack rifles when they came out in my "Opinion" that is.

Well I put one together that I got off E-Bay, the parts that weren't there cost me 150.00 . Cap lock 60.00,triggerguard,15.00,nosecap,thimbles rib ect. I have a new gun never been shot. It is marked USA on barrel. Have a old flintlock same gun I bought at Fea Market I got for 100.00. I just got parts for a CVA Kentucky at Deer Creek and they had parts for the mt rifle too. Ph 765-525-6181. They were real good to deal with. Dilly

I don't have one, but have read a lot of good posts in here. Since CVA doesn't made traditional muzzle loaders any more, I would think that would drive the price up some. If you can still get parts like Dilly says, I'd go for it :thumbsup: .

The one I'm looking at is used and is the made in USA version too - the end cap is blued (sandblasted looking) as is all of the furniture accept the brass fittings for the keys. The stock has a cheekpiece kinda like the TC Cherokee too. Looks nice. The cressant buttstock is quite open and looks like it'd be comfortable to shoot.

The last time that I was at The Log Cabin Shop, they had a Made in USA Mountain Rifle that they wanted $275 for. Overall it was a nice looking rifle, but the stock was stained green. It looked like someone had refinished it with one of those Olympic Deck Stains! :shocked2:

Go to[url] Gunbrokers.com[/url] and type in Hawkens or hawkins and you will get a number of CVA's some still in the box brandnew for about $200 or got to DEER CREEK GUNS they bought out almost all the CVAs when they quit making them in 2003, CVA only make in-lines now.
Deer Creek haves a nice MIB traditions called a OZARK SPRINGFIELD Hawkens for 169 Brand new with only $12 to ship

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks - yeah, actually the mountain rifle I'm referring to is on gunbroker- $269 right now but I bet it'll get some more bids before its over.

Thanks for the tip on the other place. :)

ETA - you have a link to Deer Creek? A search gave me everything but...

Don't know where "deep in the heart of" is for you but there's a .54 @ John's Guns in Bastrop if you can use a .54. Happy hunting.

there is one on aa right now![url] http://www.auctionarms.com/search/displayitem.cfm?itemnum=7918502[/url]

not a bad price!

Last edited by a moderator:
Wes/Tex said:
Don't know where "deep in the heart of" is for you but there's a .54 @ John's Guns in Bastrop if you can use a .54. Happy hunting.

Is this John? :winking:

I'm not far from you Bastrop - and I've been to Johns many times :)

What kind of 54 are we talkin about here? CVA Mountain Rifle - percussion? Price? TIA

Back