• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Moose Snot Shot Lubricant

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldman

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Does anyone out there have any experience using Stumpy's Moose Snot lubricant (consisting of Beeswax, Castor Oil and Murphy's Oil Soap) as a corrosion preventative? I would like to find a replacement for Wonder Lube which I have been using as a final wipe inside the bore to prevent corrosion, quite sucessfully now for about 7 years. I have long suspected that Wonder Lube had some bees wax in it, but there are likely other ingredients in it that are critical as well. Moose snot looks like a likely canditate but I'm reluctant to trust the health of my barrels to it. Anyone have any experience with this lube?

It works good on the elbow, fingers, etc. a fine skin and leather cream. Also works good for it's intended purpose as a patch lubricant and such. I've never let it stay on or in my guns long enough to say if its a good corrosion agent. I did put some on a couple case knives and they look like they have a coat of varnish on them except that it will come off with soap and water. They still look like new.
Fox :hatsoff:

I like the stuff for a patch lubricant.It cleans up very well because of the oilsoap in it. Smells good too :) I've coated the bore with it after cleaning and come up with a little rust , more than once. So I don't use it anymore as a rust preventitive. The oilsoap does have water in it. that might be why I got some rust in the bore , but it worked well on the rest of the rifle . It works really well as a cold weather lube, as low as 20 below .

I've been lately using Ballistol for my final swab, but still get some brown stuff coming up on my patches. A couple of weeks ago I noticed a light rusting in the bore on my Kentucky pistol. After running a scotch brite pad down the barrel to clean that up, I decided to try a bit of the good Killers Cervus nasal mucus instead of the Ballistol for a final swab. Yesterday at our monthly BP shoot, I ran a patch down the barrel and it came out nice and clean. No rusting, no brown stuff. I'm now trying the moose snot on my GPR to see how that works as a preventive... :hmm:
Scott

Back