• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Patche ?????ssss

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kayja

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I bought some white with blue stripes .015 patches, then made my own lube, bees wax,Olive oil, and crisco.
??are how wet should the patches be?
at first i thought the patches were too greasy so i nuked them in MW and squeezed out more oil, now they seem to dry..
should i have a film on my thumb-finger when i hold them? thanks

i would say they are probably fine if you are getting a good film on your hands when you handle them, you dont want them so greasy that it is soaking into your powdercharge.

what i do, with that lube combination, is work the lube into a square of patch material, using enough lube it soaks in well without any remaining on the surface of the cloth.
The best method ive found, is using a scrap piece of plexiglass as a work surface, i smear a little lube on the material and work it in with a cheap throwaway ace hardware 3" plastic putty knife. adding small amounts as necessary, to get good saturation on the entire piece of patch material. flip it over and do both sides if necessary. Lastly i scrape the putty knife over the material to remove any surface lube from the material.
At this point i fold the material several times to just over precut patch width, and put it in the freezer for a few minutes before precutting my patches.
the remaining scrap after patch cutting, with the large enough pieces i put in a plastic bag, and use as patches to swab the bbl with before a dry patch, every few shots as needed.

I use Bore Butter but I would guess your concotion would have about the same consistancy. What I do is put some in a flat dinner plate and slowly nuke it until it melts. Then lay your patches in it until they are fully saturated. I then put them on a sheet of paper towel and blot with another, set them aside to dry and your done.

Back