• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

First attempt at rawhide sheath

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickD

54 Cal.
Reaction score
I always wanted to try making a rawhide sheath and after trying it I doubt I`ll try it again..I had no darn idea the rawhide would shrink so much as it started to dry..I tried deer rawhide but found it was to thin,ended up using elk..

1001.jpg

2-1.jpg

The sheath is pretty good
but I like the knife a lot better :)

When I have used rawhide for knife sheaths in the past, I have simply lined the sheath with thicker rawhide, and covered it with softer buckskin or other leather.......makes for a solid and attractive sheath!

I agree totally , nice knife , leather cover makes a great place to show off some beadwork!!

It could have come out better but I dont have a clue how to work with rawhide..I dont see how they bead it,it sets so darn fast..I may try another sheath just to see if I can do something different..I have to order more leather first to use as a liner under the rawhide..

Ain't too shabby for the first one Rick. Keep it up, you'll get the hang of it :hatsoff: ...Bud

Rick, beading on rawhide is difficult. I cover my rawhide w\ soft buckskin and bead that. The rawhide is inside next to the knife,it provides an almost cut proof liner. If you use only rawhide it can be decorated w\ ochre,vermillion,earth pigments ect. You simulate beading by scratching lines to look like rows of beads , roughing the surface between lines and applying pigment to those spaces. A good source for these crafting ideas are any of the books by Ben Hunt, they were written for Boy Scouts. Good luck , there is nothing like creating your own gear!!

I have beeded rawhide sheathe bu threading the sinew for the beads thru the stiches that bind the rawhide usually in groups of 5 it creates a row of beads that runs along the sticth line of the sheath, I usually use the "pony" type beads for this, they are s bit fragile if you jerk the sheath in and out of a tight fit in a belt.

Back