• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.62cal shooters in the MLF?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a 62 flintfowler by Brian Turner with a 42 inch barrel and a 62 Sharon drop in barrel for a TC. I'm left handed so I put this 28 inch 15/16 percussion barrel in a black plastic stock and bought the lock, tang, trigger and trigger guard off the internet. The stock does not have a cheek piece to get in my way. I tried the barrel in my right had TC stock, but like the lightness of the plastic stock better. It also has a longer length of pull. Both shoot great. I'm anxious for dove season to start.

:grin: I have a .62 cal Underhammer rifle, have shot several elk and bear, never needed a second shot. Also building a 20/.62 Flint Fowler, hope to have it done by this fall for hunting. :grin:

I just got a 20 guage flint Mortimer :) from TOTW that due to lousy weather and conflicts with work I have yet to shoot. But soon, soon. :thumbsup:

I have three 20 ga smoothbores. All flint. Two are half stock the other is full stock. All shoot .60 balls with .010 patching and 75 gr 3f.

Many Klatch

I have two .62 cal. rifles.
A Pennsylvania longrifle by Brad Emig (1985)
And a .62 Cal. Hawken my make ( 1990)
Why is there such an interest in the .62 cal. over the .58 cal.
It seems there would be more interest in .58 cal. due to the availability of store bought bullets, however the .62 cal. is very popular.
I can understand the value of 20 gauge ( .62 ) smooth bore, but why .62 rifle?
I already know the answer. "CUZ!"
But really, why not .69, .75???
Best regards
Old Ford

Harley- you got it!... that's why we walk around with our arms stretched out to the front, palms down, face slack, and in a stiff ambling gait advance, glassy eyed, muttering,

"Sparks... must have sparks"

then the good guy escapes in the final reel... and that's why you see so many BP pieces at estate sales

Old Ford said:
"...I can understand the value of 20 gauge ( .62 ) smooth bore, but why .62 rifle?
I already know the answer. "CUZ!"
But really, why not .69, .75???

"CUZ" is it... :winking:...this was just an experiment, a project...I already have an outstanding .58cal and only hunt eastern whitetails so more horsepower was not a driving force. I had bought a GM .62cal Flint smoothbore barrel and used it all last deer season, filled all my tags with it and got that itch scratched.

Sitting here in January I got the idea of getting it rifled for a mini-project...I wouldn't have gone out an bought a rifled .62cal given the calibers I already have and the hunting that I do...(same for a .69 or .75)...but in this case I already had the barrel, it was only $65 for Ed Rayl to rifle it and he did an outstanding job...very accurate rifle.

So it was a good project, good experience...and interestingly, there are about 3-4 others who are following suit and doing that as well.

I have a .62 fowler, that I shot yesterday, and I am ordering a full custom Andreas Albrecht style rifle in .62 caliber. I figure that if you can afford the powder and lead, bigger is best!

ADD 1 rifled,1 smooth for my H+A underhammers, one 62 Zepher barrel also, and 2 Long Ham 1 flint and 1 perc for my Hawkens, I love the lite weight.FRED :hatsoff:

Keep counting Roundball

62 flint smooth fowler by Jack Garner Has taken a turkey and several ringnecks in 1700's fashion. Still trying for the deer harvest. Time will tell!

FGV

Latest posts

Back