• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Casting Furnace

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Pierce

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Another question, deals with casting furnace/pot. Any druthers as to one where you dip out the molten lead or one that pors from a bottom spout. Looking at Lees. Had a small one years ago.
Mike

I like to ladle pour my lead. I get better results.

The Lee works great but the best one I've found is a Waage at[url] Waage.com[/url]. They will maintain the heat withing 5 degrees all day.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have two of the small 10# Lee's that work just fine. I use one for soft and the other for hard lead.

If I am casting at home, I use a Lee bottom pour. When I cast in the woods I use a Lyman pot and laddle. Just set it up on a flat rock in the fire and keep the heat going. Can't control the heat very well but I get usable RB's.

You are going to need a large pot. If you are casting minnies at around 14 per pound thats a lot of lead and hard to keep a small pot at operating temp. Get a bottom pour ladle and a large pot. Use a small pot on RB or even a bottom pour but Minnies need more lead and faster to get consistantly good bullets.
Fox :thumbsup:

I plugged the bottom spout on my Lee mold and nowcast with a dipper - much better results.

Latest posts

Back